U.S. Rep. Mick Mulvaney will be a featured speaker at the “South Carolina Tea Party Convention of 2013” next week in Myrtle Beach, organizers of the event say.
The event, titled “The State of the Union: A Constitutional Perspective,” was promoted Friday in a press release from Americans for Progress, the conservative political advocacy group founded by Charles and David Koch, owners of the second-largest privately held company in the nation.
In addition to Mulvaney, R-Indian Land, speakers for the Jan. 12-13 event at the Springmaid Beach Resort include:
• U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan, R-S.C.
• John Fund, senior editor of The American Spectator, a conservative monthly magazine
• Tim Phillips, president of Americans for Progress
• Jenny Beth Martin, co-founder of the Atlanta-based Tea Party Patriots
• Grace Marie Turn, founder and president of The Galen Institute, a Virginia-based think tank dedicated to opposing the Affordable Care Act.
"The goal of this convention is to bring together top authorities and authors from across the country who will discuss the critical issues challenging our nation at this turning point in American history,” Joe Dugan, organizer of the event and president of the Myrtle Beach Tea Party, said in the Americans for Progress press release.
“More importantly, our high-profile lineup of speakers will offer real, pragmatic and common sense answers that will begin the process of rescuing this nation."