2 charged in deadly Lancaster shooting

adouglas@heraldonline.comFebruary 11, 2013 

— Police have arrested two people connected with Lancaster’s first homicide in 2013, according to a news release from the Lancaster City Police Department.

Around 9:40 p.m. Jan. 26, police were called to the area of St. Paul and Pleasant Hill streets after complaints about shots fired.

Officers initially didn't find anything in the area until they discovered that 32-year old Kevis Anthony of Kershaw had already been transported to Springs Memorial Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition until he died two days later.

On Monday, police said they arrested 34-year-old Ketta Tomaka Evans and 23-year-old David Jamarcus Stalk in connection with Anthony’s death, the release states.

Since the shooting, police have learned that Anthony was the target of a robbery, according to the release. Evans told Stalk that she knew Anthony and thought he would have money and valuable possessions, the release states.

Police say Evans “lured” Anthony into her home, where Stalk was waiting with a gun.

When Anthony tried to flee, Stalk “fired several times at him,” the release states.

Stalk ran away from the crime scene, police say, and eventually called 911 to report the incident.

Evans and her son then took Anthony inside to treat his gunshot wounds, eventually taking him to the hospital in his own vehicle, police say.

Stalk and Evans have each been charged with murder and attempted armed robbery by Lancaster City Police, according to the release.

Stalk has also been charged with possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime, the release states.

Both Stalk and Evans are being held at the Lancaster County Detention Center, where bond was denied.

Police Chief Harlean Howard issued the following statement:

“A life has been taken due to senseless gun violence and the conspiracy to rob an individual. The Lancaster Police Department would like to express our deepest sympathy to the family of Mr. Anthony. Our dedication and resolution to bringing the persons responsible for this heinous crime to justice is demonstrated by the significant arrests that were made. I would like to thank the law enforcement officers that worked tirelessly and methodically to bring these arrests to fruition. I would also like to thank the many citizens for the information that they provided to our investigators.”

— Jonathan McFadden contributed to this article.

Anna Douglas• 803-329-4068

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service