Deputies: Rock Hill man charged in stabbing at friend’s house

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comFebruary 12, 2013 

— A Rock Hill man was airlifted to a Charlotte hospital after he told deputies a man drunkenly forced his way into a friend’s house and “stabbed him up” Monday night.

Roddey Gene Gordon, 52, of 215 Cel-River Road, is charged with attempted murder, according to a York County Sheriff’s report. He is held at the York County Detention Center awaiting a bond hearing.

Deputies were called to a Cel-River Road home close to 10:15 p.m. after receiving calls about a man who had been stabbed “numerous times,” the report states. When deputies arrived, they found Kenneth Campbell, 44, sitting on the front porch bleeding as a family member held a towel against his wounds.

His friend told deputies that Campbell had been stabbed three times, the report states. Campbell told police that Gordon had arrived at the house looking for a fight. When Gordon tried to enter the house, Campbell said he pushed him out.

Gordon came back, Campbell said, and allegedly kicked the door in before stabbing him, according to the report. Police could not find evidence that the door was kicked in and reported that all parties involved had been drinking.

Campbell said he left the house and went to wait for police at a family member’s home nearby. He was airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte. He has since been released, hospital officials said. Deputies found Gordon at a friend’s house and took him into custody.

Three hours before the stabbing, deputies had gone to the same Cel-River Road house and met with a 42-year-old man who said Gordon, invited over to drink liquor, jumped and beat him, according to another Sheriff’s Office report.

Gordon allegedly hit the man over the head with a milk jug, pushed him around and wrestled with him until he fell off his front step, the report states. Police spoke with Gordon, who had a black eye, scratches and muddied clothes, at his house. Gordon admitted that he and the man got in a fight over liquor before he was told to leave the house.

Charges weren’t filed, and deputies warned both men not to go back to each other’s houses during the night.

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service