High School Soccer Boys

Northwestern ends Fort Mill boys’ soccer win streak at 21 games

Herald correspondentMarch 19, 2013 

— Early ball control helped pace the ninth-ranked Northwestern boys over third-ranked Fort Mill for a 3-1 soccer victory at Bob Jones Stadium on Tuesday.

Despite it being early in the season, the game between the Trojans and Yellow Jackets could be a prelude to determine the Region III-AAAA title. Northwestern, which has won the last nine region titles, is looking to cap off a decade of dominance in its region, while Fort Mill is coming off its first ever state title in the sport last year, taking the 3A title.

“We played well,” said Trojans coach Dom Wren. “We didn’t play our best. I though Fort Mill played tremendously well.”

The loss by Fort Mill was the first one in 21 matches, dating back to last season. And with it being the first loss on the season, Jackets coach Lloyd Chalker said it isn’t the end of the world.

“We just didn’t score,” Chalker said. “We missed too many opportunities. An early loss isn’t a bad thing. We will see how we will deal with it.”

Both teams started the game trying to gain the advantage on each other, but neither could early on.

The Trojans gained some advantage by controlling the ball on their side of things, but couldn’t manufacture anything with throw-ins or an early corner kick.

Fort Mill made the first attempt at a shot on goal, but the ball was easily gobbled up by Northwestern’s keeper Cody Jones, who unofficially made eight saves.

The Trojans struck first, scoring about 19 minutes into the game as junior Julian Welborn caught Jackets keeper Mason Jackson out of position.

Fort Mill tried another shot with about 15 minutes left in the first half, but was again stopped by Jones.

Northwestern controlled the ball the majority of the first half, and was able to go up by two goals as sophomore Alan Taylerson scored on a header on a throw-in from junior Manny Lozano.

After the two goals by the Trojans and despite several attempts by Fort Mill, the Northwestern defense stayed on top of things.

Fort Mill switched things up in the second half as Jackson was replaced in goal by junior Mike Usina. Despite the shake-up, Fort Mill still struggled offensively to get anything going.

That drought was broken by Jackets senior captain Jason Hirsch who scored on a free kick over the head of Jones and into the back of the net to put Fort Mill on the board at 2-1.

With the goal, the Jackets became more aggressive and stayed on the attack. However, Wren said he was glad at how he saw his team, whom he complemented for their mental toughness, fought back after Fort Mill cut their lead in half.

Northwestern 3,

Fort Mill 1

Fort Mill011

First half

NW – Julian Welborn, 18:19;NW – Alan Taylerson, 29:05

Second half

FM – Jason Hirsch, 53:59; NW – Connor Moore, 60:20

Corner kicks: Northwestern 4, Fort Mill 1.

Shots on goal: Northwestern 12, Fort Mill 10.

Saves: Cody Jones (NW) 8, Mason Jackson (FM) 2, Mike Usina (FM) 5.

Records: Northwestern 7-1-0, 5-0 Region III-AAAA; Fort Mill 10-1-0, 4-1 Region III-AAAA.

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service