Police: Rock Hill officer struck by car while chasing Kohl’s shoplifters

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comMarch 27, 2013 

A Rock Hill Police officer was hit by a car after trying to stop two suspected Kohl’s shoplifters who ignored his commands Tuesday evening, police say.

At about 5:30 p.m., the officer, James Carsto, was called to Kohl’s on Meeting Boulevard after the store’s loss prevention manager reported that two women filled shopping carts with women’s clothing and accessories with no plans to pay, according to a Rock Hill Police report.

While watching them on camera, the store worker said she noticed their purses were empty. The officer arrived and saw Megan Brown, 20, and Amanda Yarborough, 21, walk into a dressing room with their carts and clothes, the report states.

The worker walked into an adjacent dressing room and heard both women ripping the tags off the clothes, the report states. About 10 minutes later, Brown and Yarborough walked out the dressing room, their purses now full, and out the front door. The loss prevention manager went into their dressing room to find torn price tags and empty clothes hangars.

The police officer walked out of the store, identified himself and told both women to stop. They didn’t listen, according to the report, and got into a silver 2009 Toyota Corolla.

The officer approached the driver’s side of the door and ordered the women to get out the car while he grabbed the handle, the report states. Brown put the car into drive and began driving away while the officer was still holding onto the door handle, the report states.

The handle broke off as the officer was spun around and struck with the back of the car. Brown drove through the parking lot “at a high rate of speed disregarding all other traffic and pedestrians,” the report states.

Officer Carsto suffered no serious injuries, police say.

Police found the car parked at Stone Haven Pointe apartments and arrested both women. Brown was charged with shoplifting, failure to identify and reckless driving. Yarborough was charged with shoplifting and failure to identify. By Wednesday afternoon, they were still in jail awaiting a bond hearing.

The officer’s injuries weren’t major. The stolen merchandise was returned to Kohl’s.

Jonathan McFadden •  803-329-4082

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service