York parents to protest $1.9 million in school cuts

news@enquirerherald.comMay 9, 2013 

— A group of parents who oppose $1.9 million in planned York school district budget cuts that would be implemented in the fall say they will ask the school board to reconsider its decision.

About 35 parents who have organized as the York Parent Coalition are scheduled to speak to the board when it meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the York Comprehensive High School auditorium.

“As parents, we’re going to have to make a stand to make a difference,” said organizer Alicia Bolin, a parent and a substitute teacher at Hunter Street Elementary School.

Bolin urged parents to bring their children to Tuesday’s school board meeting and to wear red “to let them hear what our concerns are.” She also urged them to contact board members.

The York school board in February approved a plan to cut 22 positions and reduce the number of work days for some administrators and staff to cut about $1.9 million in costs for the coming school year.

The cuts at the elementary school level include two art and music teaching positions, five in-school suspension assistants, five media assistants and two instructional coaches. Hunter Street and Jefferson elementary schools will share art and media teachers under the plan, which already is the case at Cotton Belt and H.C. Johnson elementaries.

Cuts at the middle and high school level include an instructional coach, two teacher assistants, a high school administrator, guidance counselor, media specialist and an ROTC position. Part-time French and masonry teaching positions also would be eliminated.

About 20 other staff members, including some administrators and guidance counselors, would work fewer days.

Carrie Kimbrell, another Hunter Street parent organizer, told parents that the in-school suspension program is “extremely critical” to remove disruptive children from the classroom.

The loss of media assistants at elementary schools, she said, would mean “dramatic cuts in the technology usage within the schools.”

Superintendent Vernon Prosser has said the cuts are necessary because the York district has for three years balanced its budget by drawing from a shrinking reserve fund – a practice he said can’t continue.

Bolin and other parents say Prosser and school board members have been unresponsive to their concerns. Bolin said she has filed a Freedom of Information request to get specific budget information and had to fill out a request to address the board.

The information she requested includes the number and placement of retired teachers who are “at-will” employees and the number of and salary level of district-level administrators, she said. She questioned whether the district could save money in those positions.

Prosser said Tuesday that he and finance director Amy Hagner met for several hours with Bolin and Kimbrell a few weeks ago. He said he has had two lengthy telephone follow-up conversations with Bolin, and that he is gathering information in response to her request for information.

“I have tried to bend over backward to talk to them and give them what they want,” Prosser said. “I would be willing to talk to the (parents) group, whatever they need.”

People who want to address the board are asked to fill out a form as a matter of routine, he said, but “typically no one has been denied.” He said the form is requested because many concerns can be resolved without going to the board.

School board Chairman Shirley Harris could not be reached for comment.

“Out standpoint is they can pick a different way to fix the budget, and it doesn’t have to be that we have to gut these critical programs,” Bolin said. “We want them to listen to us.”

Staci Versen-Rampey, a Hunter Street parent, said she sent an email to school board members through Prosser’s assistant last week and did not receive a response.

“It seems like they’re not even giving us an opportunity to come up with a reasonable alternative,” she said of the board.

Prosser said he would be willing to listen to alternatives parents come up with, but he said the cuts are not optional.

“I don’t have a choice,” he said. “If I had a choice, I would do it differently.

“I would entertain a proposal, but the dollars are the dollars, and that’s what we’re down to now. If there was another way to solve it, we would.”

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service