LAKE WYLIE — Six employees at a Lake Wylie Walmart have been accused of embezzlement in connection with a scam deputies say robbed the store of at least $830 within the past two months.
On Friday, the store’s loss prevention manager contacted authorities, showing them surveillance video and documentation alleging six employees – three of them cashiers and the other three workers in the deli – worked together to ring up items for each other, void the transactions and allow their fellow employee to take merchandise without paying for it, according to a York County Sheriff’s Office report.
According to information received from Walmart, deputies say Senita Bratton, a cashier, voided out more than $122 worth of items for Shakeia Curry, Antoinette Taylor, Crystal Broadie and LaParis Carter, starting in March and ending last month.
Police say Curry, Taylor, Broadie and Carter took the items home without rendering payment, according to the report. Deputies say Bratton also let Carter take at least $81 worth of items that were never scanned at the register, while Curry is accused of failing to scan $173.27 that Carter’s also accused of stealing.
Documents show that Curry voided $115 worth of items for Taylor, Broadie and Carter without taking payment from the three women, the report states.
Ross, also a cashier, is accused of voiding $99 worth of items for Taylor, who took the merchandise home without paying, according to the report.
Total, the employees are accused of taking $838.50 from the store, according to documents. The list of transactions only includes ones the store manager could positively identify.
“There are other items missing that could not be identified,” the report states.
Charges for all six include:
• Senita Bratton, 25, of York, is charged with five counts of breach of trust
• Shakeia Curry, 23, of Rock Hill, who turned herself in to police on Tuesday, is charged with five counts of breach of trust and one count of shoplifting
• Samantha Ross, 20, of Clover, is charged with one count of breach of trust
• Antoinette Taylor, 29, of Rock Hill, is charged with three counts of shoplifting
• Crystal Broadie, 30, of Clover, is charged with two counts of shoplifting
• LaParis Carter, 21, of Rock Hill, is charged with five counts of shoplifting
Jonathan McFadden • 803-329-4082