Told to leave Fort Mill hotel, woman says she’s U.S. agent

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comJuly 26, 2013 

— A Charlotte woman who deputies say identified herself as a federal agent was asked to leave a Fort Mill hotel Thursday despite her claims that she worked for the Secret Service.

But, before she packed up her bags and vacated a room she had rented, she claimed her cover was blown, according to a York County Sheriff’s report.

Deputies were called to the Clarion Hotel on Foothills Way near Carowinds after receiving calls from the manager that a 45-year-old woman was at the hotel although she had been asked not to return, the report states. The manager told deputies that a new employee unaware that the woman was not welcome booked the woman into an eighth-floor room.

The woman claimed to be a federal agent, according to the manager, who told police that she did not believe the story, the report states. The manager told deputies the woman identified herself a federal agent to other hotel guests and took their IDs. It’s unclear what she did with the IDs.

The manager told deputies she did not want the woman on hotel property and asked that she be removed, the report states.

Authorities spoke with the woman at her room. She told them that she was an agent with the federal Department of Justice under Secret Service, the report states. When a deputy asked to contact her supervisor to verify her employment, she told police she did not have a number, but her supervisor was “General Abernathy.”

She showed deputies an ID card, but “the quality was questionable at best,” the report states. The Department of Justice seal was “blurred as if printed on a low-quality printer,” and the woman had no other form of ID, telling police that she was not required to carry a driver’s license.

She did have a car, police said, where she had several black uniforms with no identification on them except for the word “Agent” above the front left pocket of the shirts, the report states.

The woman told police she was unable to discuss why she was in the area, and that she was never issued a badge. She became upset that the manager called police and told deputies that her cover was blown.

The woman, deputies said, did not provide “adequate information to prove that she was working for the federal government, but deputies could not disprove her employment either at the time of the incident.”

The woman packed her bags and was escorted off the premises, the report states. She was placed on a trespass notice. No charges were filed.

Jonathan McFadden •  803-329-4082

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service