Rock Hill mother charged after police visit home, find it in 'disarray'

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comAugust 1, 2013 

Misty Williford

— Last month, police said Misty Williford’s Rock Hill home carried an odor, was too hot and housed pets that urinated and defecated on clothes.

On Wednesday, authorities arrested Williford, charging her with two counts of unlawful conduct toward a child after the York County office of the Department of Social Services placed her two sons, 4 and 7, in emergency protective custody, according to a Rock Hill Police report.

On July 16, York County DSS requested police help after going to the home in northern Rock Hill to perform a welfare investigation on the children but finding the house empty, said Executive Officer Mark Bollinger of the Rock Hill Police Department.

When officers arrived, they found an extension cord running from Williford’s house to the house next door, the report states.

Police found that the front door was damaged and saw that the living room was in disarray, according to the report.

An officer called for backup because it appeared the house had been burglarized.

The homeowner told police that Williford, 34, is her daughter and she and her boyfriend live there without paying rent or mortgage, the report states.

Police spoke with Williford over the phone and told her they were probing her home during an investigation into unlawful conduct toward a child.

Williford told officers she and her family had gone out of town to the beach, the report states.

With permission from the homeowner, police continued searching the house and found animal feces on the floor and on top of mattress pads and clothing, the report states.

The mattresses had no sheets, and clothes that had been thrown on the floor were covered in feces. Police found more feces, which appeared human, in the bathroom’s tub and toilet.

The extension cord running from a neighbor’s home connected to two fans, a television and a video game console, the report states. Another extension cord ran to the refrigerator.

Two neighbors told police they saw Williford and her boyfriend at the home a day earlier.

Williford refused to report to the home with her sons to speak with DSS agents, according to the report.

Williford on Thursday told The Herald that DSS had not contacted her before police went into her home and found the results of what she believed to be a burglary.

When she returned home, she said dresser drawers were pulled onto the floor, electronics were missing and “trash was everywhere.”

She said she’s unsure if burglars broke in and “stayed there,” adding that she did lock her two cats inside the house and they in turn left “a mess.”

Williford turned herself in to police on Wednesday while taking her children to the DSS office, Bollinger said.

“I thought it was the best thing to do,” she told the Herald. “It’s been an ordeal.”

DSS would not comment on what initiated their investigation, but spokeswoman Marilyn Matheus confirmed that the children were placed in emergency protective custody.

Williford was released on a $10,000 bond.

Jonathan McFadden •  803-329-4082

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service