Police: Rock Hill man shot with Taser choked officer, scared parents

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comAugust 12, 2013 

Cousar Douglas

— A Rock Hill man whose parents barricaded themselves inside a bedroom had to be stunned several times with a Taser after he tried to choke a police officer last week, authorities say.

Police were sent to an Eden Oaks Drive, off Oakdale Road, home at about 6 p.m. Thursday when a woman, 62, called police saying her son had gone “crazy” and she feared that he would kill them, according to a Rock Hill police report.

After Cousar Mario Douglas, 33, refused to step outside of the house, an officer went inside and found a large knife on the dining room table, the report states. He ordered Douglas to put his hands behind his back, but Douglas again refused and jerked away when the officer tried handcuffing him.

Douglas and the policeman began to wrestle, even as the officer used his Taser to stun Douglas several times, the report states. Douglas tried to punch the officer and then wrapped his hands around his throat as more officers arrived on scene.

Police restrained Douglas after stunning him with their Tasers several times, the report states. Douglas’ girlfriend tried to intervene in the struggle, while his parents told him to comply with police commands.

Police learned that the intoxicated Douglas and his girlfriend had gotten into an argument about their daughter, the report states, when Douglas began yelling at everyone. He claimed he thought his father threatened to shoot him, a claim his father rebuffed.

Douglas’ parents went into their bedroom as their son banged on the door and demanded that his father shoot him, the report states. Douglas’ father grabbed a gun, but told police he never left the bedroom.

The injured police officer received treatment at Riverview Medical Center, while police took Douglas to Piedmont Medical Center so the Taser probes could be removed from his midsection, the report states.

He was then arrested and charged with assaulting an officer while resisting arrest, damage to property and disorderly conduct. He is held at the York County Detention Center on a $65,000 bond.

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service