How do you know it’s really fall? When it’s time for Festival in the Park, of course, beginning Friday with three days of art, food and live music at Charlotte’s Freedom Park.
This is the 49th year for the family-friendly arts extravaganza where display tents wind along the walkway around the lake exhibiting an array of paintings, pottery, jewelry, crafts, and art galore from the assortment of inspired artisans.
Tasty foods also await plus the draw of live musical entertainment. A varied collection of talented music groups, and musicians perform each day. Some of the best/most popular will perform on the main stage.
Friday kicks off with “old School” R&B funk from Sonny Skyyz Skyzz and The Rainmakers, Americana roots by Chuck Johnson and Charlyhorse, along with honky tonkin’ rock via Wink Keziah.
Saturday’s musical array features new country stylings of Carson Hill, a Horsefly blues jam, Halifax & Friends featuring Randy Franklin and Donna Duncan for cool classic rock, plus The Spongetones — ever popular Merseybeat masters of the universe in the guise of fab foursome Jamie Hoover, Steve Stoeckel, Pat Walters and Rob Thorne, who delight all with hip, happening run the gamut sounds from Brit invasion, 70’s classics, choice rock hits to their scintillating, sassy originals.
Sunday’s selections offer up The Amy Broome Band sweeping through folk, blues, rock and country, The Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestra touting 185 top young musicians from over 60 metro area schools, Gigi Dover & //The// Big Love with exotic sonic tonic take on World music and Americana rock and The Pam Taylor Band with singer/songwriter’s side of roots and blues.
Welcome fall season at this tantalizing, flavorful, sound-imbued and appropriately artsy, melodic mish mash of wondrous spectacle – the 49th annual Festival in the Park – Friday, Saturday, Sunday at Freedom Park, 1409 East Blvd., Charlotte. For directions, details and information, call 704-338-1060 or visit festivalinthepark.org.
• Friday: Bonfire at Empire Pizza, Rock Hill; Stella and The Groove Crew at Amici Lovin Oven, Rock Hill; Battle of the Bands at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; Hair Nation, Dirty Deeds, more at Amos’ Southend, Charlotte; Kishi Bashi, My Darling Fury at Visulite Theater, Charlotte; ReignWolf, Hungry Girl at Double Door Inn, Charlotte; Cindi K and Scottie J at Big Al’s Pub and Grubberia, Charlotte; Flesh and Stone, Lingo at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Alt J, Lord Huron at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Amigo, Sinners and Saints, more at Snug Harbor, Charlotte; Porch Authority at Smokey Joe’s Café, Charlotte; Josh Brannon Band at Puckett’s Farm Equipment, Charlotte; Birds with Teeth CD Release, Calm and Repose, more at Neighborhood Theater, Charlotte; Gaelic Storm at The Chop Shop-NoDa, Charlotte and Pierce Pettis at Evening Muse, Charlotte.
• Saturday: Junction 161 at Amici Lovin Oven, Rock Hill; Chubby Knuckles at Cousy’s, Catawba; Fire Marshall Bill, Dr. Cirkustien, more at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; The Stranger, Natural Wonder at Amos’ Southend, Charlotte; Charlotte Symphony Pops- Chicago at Belk Theater, Charlotte; Charlie Wilson, Bell Biv Deboe, Rakim, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam at Memorial Stadium, Charlotte; Amy Broome at Smokey Joe’s Café, Charlotte; Yellowcard, Geoff Rickly at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Colby Dobbs Band with Supatight at Double Door Inn, Charlotte; Shot Silk, Dead Cat, Danielle Engle at Common Market-Plaza Midwood, Charlotte; aleb Davis, Soul Vibe, more at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; omino Effect, Sun-Dried Vibes at Roux, Charlotte; Nathan Angelo at Evening Muse, Charlotte; The Lonely Biscuits; Hush and Hustle at Neighborhood Theater, Charlotte; Baylor Drive at Puckett’s Farm Equipment, Charlotte; Seth Glier, Marc Scibilia at Evening Muse, Charlotte and Tyler Farr at Coyote Joe’s, Charlotte.
• Sunday: O Brother, Junior Astronomers, more at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; The Pretty Reckless, Heaven’s Basement at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Sun Volt, Colonel Ford at Visulite Theater, Charlotte and Miss Shevaughn & Yuma Wray, Derek Evry and this Band of Misanthropes, more at The Milestone, Charlotte.
• Monday: Open Mic with Amy Andrews at Evening Muse, Charlotte and Open Mic with 3 Piece Bucket at Puckett’s Farm Equipment Charlotte.
• Tuesday: Yo Gotti, Cash Out, Zed Zilla at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Blackfezzo and Friends at The Saloon- NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Mike Waters, Stacey Leazer at Heist Brewery, Charlotte; Southside Punx, No Anger Control at The Milestone, Charlotte; Replenish with Edward Shouse, DJ Jason Wigg, more at Neighborhood Theatre, Charlotte and Mike Stinson at Snug Harbor, Charlotte.
Wednesday: Mudhoney, Cheap Time at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; City and Colour, Lucy Rose at Amos’ Southend, Charlotte; Nick Shaw at Heist Brewery, Charlotte; Wink Keziah and Deulux Motel, Harry Bodine and Wrecking Ball, more at Double Door Inn, Charlotte; Little Johnny Trailer Trash at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte and Tattermask, Dope, Soil, Leaving Eden at The Chop Shop-NoDa, Charlotte.
“And that was all she wrote.”
Send bio, press kits, photos, music links to firstname.lastname@example.org. Find more details on Facebook, and myspace.com/jetrockmedia