The ninth annual Piedmont Pottery Festival will be 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Historic Brattonsville in McConnells.
Traditional potters from the Carolinas and Georgia will have booths and potters will be available to discuss their works. There also will be pottery demonstrations.
Jason Harpe, executive director of the Lincoln County Historical Association and Lincoln County Museum of History in Lincolnton, N.C., will do a presentation and book signing at 11:30 a.m. on “Valley Ablaze: Pottery Tradition in the Catawba Valley.” He co-authored the book with Brian Dedmond.
At 1 p.m., Stephen Criswell, director of Native American studies at USC-Lancaster will present a session on Catawba Indian pottery.
Barbecue will be available for purchase. Interpreters will be on site for tours and demonstrating brick-making techniques.
Cost is $6, adults; $5, seniors; $3, ages 4-17; free for ages 3 and younger and Culture and Heritage Museum members. For information, visit www.chmuseums.org.
• The Northwestern High School Purple Regiment and the Rock Hill High School Band of Distinction will host The Olde English Festival of Bands at noon Saturday at District Three Stadium on Cherry Road.
The competition, presented by Carolinas HealthCare System, includes 19 bands from North and South Carolina that will compete for eight finalist spots. Rock Hill and Northwestern bands will also perform in exhibition.
Gates are open at 11 a.m. Finals begin at 7:45 pm.
Northwestern will perform its show “Musical Candy” at 5:30 and Rock Hill will perform “Darkness to Light” at 9:45 p.m.
Admission is $8 for adults and $5 for students.
For information, contact Joe Gulledge at 803-981-1323 or Mark Yost at 803-981-1225.
• Catawba River Art Guild members art show opened Friday and runs through Nov. 3 in the Perimeter Gallery at the Center for the Arts, 121 E. Main St., Rock Hill. A public reception will be 6-8 p.m. Oct. 17.
• The International Center of York County and the City of Rock Hill No Room for Racism Committee will celebrate Race Equality Week 2013 by hosting “World Tour: Passport to Learning” 5:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Boyd Hill Recreation Center, 1165 Constitution Blvd.
The event includes free food, door prize giveaways every half hour and dance performances.
For information, contact Stefanie Barnette at 803-817-5141 or Miguel Rullan at 803-325-2537.
• The York County Regional Chamber of Commerce will host its annual Chamber Golf Classic Thursday at Rock Hill Country Club. A luncheon will be 11 a.m. with a shotgun start at 12:30 p.m. A reception, recognizing the winners, will follow the tournament.
For information, please Steve Perkins at email@example.com or call 803-324-7500.
• The third annual Oldies Sock Hop, sponsored by the All Saints Knights of Columbus, will be 7-10 p.m. Friday at the River Hills Marina Pavilion.
Frankie the K is the disc jockey. Prizes and gifts baskets will be raffled.
Tickets are $15 and include hot dogs, soft drinks and snacks. Advance ticket sales only. For tickets call, 803-627-4743.
• Honor Flight South Carolina will host a USO-style tribute show to honor World War II and Korean veterans at 3 p.m. Nov. 3 at Township Auditorium in Columbia.
The show will feature the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Veterans can get two free tickets by calling 803-582-8203.
Tickets for the public are $25 for adults and $12.50 for those 12 and younger and are available by calling 800-745-3000 or go to ticketmaster.com.
• Eastside Baptist Church will host a community yard sale, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the church, North Jones Avenue, Rock Hill. Spaces are available for $15 for a 10-foot-by-10-foot booth. Sellers can keep their profits. Proceeds from booth rentals will go to the building fund. For information, call 803-322-3842 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The sixth annual “Fight Like a Girl” cancer golf tournament will be Oct. 31 at Pinetuck Golf Course with a 9 a.m. shotgun start.
Cost is $200 per team. Prizes will be awarded to the first-, second- and third-place teams. Par 3 prizes, door prizes and buffet will be held after the tournament. Hole sponsors are $100 per team.
For information call Rusty Carroll at 803-207-6750 or Lewis Murray at 803-327-1141.
• Epiphany Lutheran Church will host Oktoberfest, noon to 6 p.m. Oct. 5 at the church, 2370 W. Main St., Rock Hill. The event features food, music and vendors.
• Friends of the Library will host a book sale at the Lake Wylie branch of the York County Library 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at 185 Blucher Circle.
Hardcover fiction, paperbacks and children’s books will be priced from 50 cents to $2. For information, call 803-981-5837 or go to yclibrary.org.
• Carolina Community Actions Head Start is accepting applications in the Chester area for children ages 3-4 for the 2013-14 program.
For information, call 803-581-6854 or visit the center at 2135 Quinn Road, Chester.
• The Newcomers of York County monthly luncheon, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 9 at Hospice and Community Care Center, Rock Hill, features fall gardening with Clemson extension agent Paul Thompson.
Lunch is $10. RSVP to Debi at 803-712-7276 or email@example.com. Open to all York County women residents. For information, visit www.newcomersofyorkcounty.org.
• Gardening on the Cay, the Garden Club of Tega Cay, will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Glennon Center to introduce programs for this year, club projects and committees. For information, call Nancy Stone at 803-462-4777 or email Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to residents of Tega Cay and surrounding communities.
• A Deco Mesh Wreath Class will be offered at 9 a.m. Saturday at Woman’s Club of Rock Hill, 607 Aiken Avenue. Cost is $35 and includes light lunch. RSVP by Tuesday. For information call Vicky at 803-366-9027 or email email@example.com.
A Fall Extravaganza will be at 9 a.m. Oct. 5 at Woman’s Club of Rock Hill. Autumn and Christmas items will be featured. Club members and local vendors will have handmade arts and crafts, baked goods, seasonal items and plants for sale. For information call Darlene at 803-322-8281 or Vicky at 803-366-9027.
• Vintage Club dinner meeting for Tega Cay residents will be 7 p.m. Wednesday at Phil Glennon Community Center. Cocktails begin at 6:15. Cost is $22.
For information, call Julia Rietz at 803-396-0203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Rock Hill branch of the NAACP general meeting will be at 5 p.m. Sunday at Bannon Hall across from St. Mary Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road. The youth division will meet at 4 p.m.
The executive meeting will be at 6 p.m. Oct. 3 at Freedom Temple Ministries, 215 E. Main St.
For information contact Sandra Oborokumo at 803-325-2855.
• A planning meeting for the Hickory Grove 125th Celebration will be 7 p.m. Monday at the Hickory Grove Town Hall. Open to the community.
• Heart2Heart Foundation will host a l unch and learn, 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesday at the City Club of Rock Hill, 140 E. Main St. Cost is $15 and includes buffet, beverage and tax.
Dr. Arun Kundra with Piedmont Herat and Vascular Center will talk about treatments for atrial fibrillation. For information call 803-524-5671.
• York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the USDA Service Center,1460 E. Alexander Love Highway, York. Open to the public. For information, contact Barbara O’Connell at 803-684-3137, ext.101.
• The York County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the administration building, 7900 Park Place Road in the East York Industrial Park, off S.C. 5 in York. Open to the public.
• The York County Education Association-Retired will meet at 10 a.m. Monday at the Fort Mill school district office, 2233 Deerfield Drive. Lashanti Geathers from the State Employee Insurance Program will speak.
• Strike Back Self Defense for Women and Children is conducting an eight-hour self-defense class for women at the York Recreation Center on White Rose Lane.
Classes will meet 9-11 a.m. Sept. 30, and Oct. 2, 7 and 9.
Women of any age are welcome. Class is limited to 20 participants. Cost is $100. Registration deadline is Friday. Register 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday at the center.
For information call 803-684-3742 or email email@example.com.
• S afe Boating Course by the Catawba Sail & Power Squadron will be 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 5 at Driving 911, 2000 S.C. 160 W., Fort Mill, near Towne Tavern.
The one-day class with an exam yields a certificate to qualify for a discount from most boat insurance companies, meets North Carolina’s law for under-26 boater education to legally drive a boat and qualifies teens 13-16 to operate a personal watercraft.
For information, call Gene Stutz at 803-831-8252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Jim Van Blarcom at 803-548-5362 or email email@example.com
Cost of the manual is $35, which can be shared. The class is free. Lunch can be provided for $5.
• A free seminar on surgical weight loss will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Women’s Tower Auditorium at Piedmont Medical Center. To register, call 877-228-3638.
• The Rock Hill Chapter of Finley High School alumni will meet at 5 p.m. Saturday at 2085 Cavendale Drive, Rock Hill. For information, call Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547 or James T. Dunham at 704-232-0793. A cookout will be after the meeting.
• The Finley High School Class of 1964 will meet at noon Saturday at Golden Corral, 1031 N. Anderson Road, Rock Hill, to plan the 50th reunion. For information, contact Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547, James Mayfield at 803-374-1090 or Kater Wylie Cornwell at 704-661-7701.
• Descendants of Robert and Nancy Agnes Miller Curry will have the 50th annual Curry family reunion Oct. 13 at Pleasant Grove Presbyterian Church, 1660 Pleasant Grove Road, Chester. Worship will be 11 a.m. with a picnic lunch at 1 p.m. For information email Randy Perry Sears at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Northwestern Class of 1983 30th reunion will be Oct.11-12. For information, go to nwhs83.com, email Joni Rohr Walker at email@example.com or call 803-329-1916.
• The Rock Hill High School Class of 1954 will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at Golden Corral, Anderson Road.
• The Mended Hearts, Inc., Chapter 289, will meet 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Doctors Dining Room at Piedmont Medical Center. Gloria Lee Moe will talk about atrial fibrillation. Open to the public.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information, call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets from 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
• Rock Hill Gamblers Anonymous meets 7:15 p.m. Thursdays at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 1830 Celanese Road.
• The Surgical Weight Loss Program support group meets at 6 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month in the Women’s Center auditorium at Piedmont Medical Center.
• Hospice & Community Care will host a Pet Grief Support Group 5:30-6:30 p.m., the third Tuesday of each month, 2275 India Hook Road Rock Hill. For information or to register, call 803-329-1500 or 803-895-2273.
• The Rock Hill Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at Piedmont Medical Center in The Women’s Tower Auditorium. A meal will be served. For information, call Terry Shortt at 803-524-3465.
• The Brain Injury Support Group meets 6:30-7:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital, 1795 Frank Gaston Blvd., Rock Hill.
For information, call 803-731-9823 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Rock Hill Multiple Myeloma Support Group meets 10-11:30 a.m. the third Saturday of each month at Catawba Baptist Church, 2659 Catawba Church Road. For information, contact Steve Nunn at 803-412-2266 or email email@example.com.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.