Biffy Clyro is among the barrage of bands set for 106.5 WEND the End Radio’s 2013 Weenie Roast Saturday at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Charlotte.
Based in Scotland near Glasgow, Biffy Clyro has taken a road that has slowly but surely led the group to its current “emerging band of the decade” status.
Its newest album, appropriately titled “Opposites,” is its sixth and most popular thanks to a somewhat altered transformation and a more mainstream, radio-ready, even pop-rock style.
The trio features Simon Neil, lead guitar/lead vocals; James Johnston, bass/vocals; and Ben Johnston, drums/vocals, whose music originally marked them as brooding and emotional thanks to a progressive rock/post hardcore platform touting testy tempos and erratic guitars.
With influences like Guns ‘N’ Roses and Metallica, then exploring the time-honored prog rock territory mined by the likes of Rush, King Crimson and others, Biffy Clyro’s sound took on a rich, haunting stance that maintained the group’s powerful, strange core while garnering the support of devoted followers.
That dedicated following expanded with the popularity of the “Opposites” album, along with high-profile support dates with Muse, The Rolling Stones, and Queens of the Stone Age.
Embarking on a North American tour, the first stop is Saturday during the 106.5 WEND the End 2013 Weenie Roast along with a horde of hot and hip bands including Thirty Seconds to Mars, Airborne Toxic Event, Leogun, Sublime with Rome, Awolnation, Langhorne Slim, Filter, and more at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 707 Pavillion Blvd., Charlotte.
For information, call 704-549-5555 or check livenation.com.
For more on the music, visit biffyclyro.com.
A soul-searching road trip led to clearer musical vision unlocking the way to new tunes for the album “The Lion The Beast The Beat” from Grace Potter and The Nocturnals, live Friday at The Fillmore in Charlotte.
As reviewers throw out comparisons to every virtuoso rock chanteuse possible including Janice Joplin and Grace Slick, Potter’s particular magic remains her soulful, bluesy voice and smiling power to woo an audience.
A little bit pop rock and more than a little rootsy blues with a decided 60s and 70s throwback edge, the band includes Potter, vocals/keyboards/guitar; Matt Burr, drums/vocals; Scott Tournet, guitar/bass/keyboards/vocals and Benny Yurco, guitar/bass/vocals.
Cross time and space plus many musical genres with a sultry bombshell and her band – Grace Potter and The Nocturnals, with guest Sam Roberts Band, live Friday at The Fillmore, 1000 NC Music Factory Blvd., Charlotte.
Check fillmorecharlotte.com or call 704-916-8970 for details.
Go to gracepotter.com or check Facebook for more on the music.
• Friday: LSD at Amici Lovin Oven, Rock Hill; Barry Webster, Nick Sciandra at Fatfinger’s Bar and Grill, Catawba; Jake Haldenwang Acoustic Night at McHale’s Irish Pub, Fort Mill; Nightrain Guns ‘n’ Roses Tribute at Lake Wylie Bowl ‘N’ Bounce, Lake Wylie; Perfect Strangers Acoustic at Cosmos’, Ballantyne-Charlotte; Onward to Olympus, A Hero A Fake, Bruised But No Broken, more at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; The Michael Tracy Band, Moses Jones, Bobby Ray Bittle Band at Amos Southend, Charlotte; Soakin’ Wet at McKoy’s, Charlotte; Fruition at Double Door Inn, Charlotte; ZZ Ward, The Wild Feathers, James Bay at Visulite Theater, Charlotte; Miami Dice, Callisto, Borrowed Darts at Snug Harbor, Charlotte; Poor Man’s Fame, more for Gravedigger’s Ball Battle of the Bands at Strike City, Charlotte; The Lenny Federal Band at Comet Grill, Charlotte; Raisin Cain at Smokey Joe’s Café, Charlotte; The Spice of Life, All Rise, more at Milestone, Charlotte; Dark Water Rising, Flesh and Stone at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Traffic Jam Band at Puckett’s Farm Equipment, Charlotte and Grant-Lee Phillips; Callaghan, Erick Baker; at Evening Muse, Charlotte.
• Saturday: Small Talk Assassin at Amici Lovin Oven, Rock Hill; Dathrowback Band at Midtown Sundries Grill and Bar, Fort Mill; Ghost Town, Modern Day Escape, more at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; Rockin’ The Cure at Amos’ Southend, Charlotte; Carolina Gator Gumbo, Jockomo Cajun Band, Zydeco YaYa, more for Cajun Fest at Romare Bearden Park, Charlotte; Charlotte Symphony Orchestra: The Planets at Belk Theater, Charlotte; Belcross Station at Common Market-Plaza Midwood, Charlotte; Barbed Wires at Comet Grill, Charlotte; On The Border-Eagles Tribute at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Fantasia at Bojangle’s Coliseum, Charlotte; Southern Culture on the Skids, Sugarsmax for Oktoberfest at NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Fish Out of Water at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Angwish, Finer, Jungle Massive at Crown Station Pub, Charlotte; Cody Canada and The Departed, Rob Baird at The Chop Shop-NoDa, Charlotte; Analog Daze, Deep Sky, Fiftywatt Freight Train, more at Neighborhood Theater, Charlotte; Eric Strickland and The B Sides at Puckett’s Farm Equipment, Charlotte and The Honeycutters, Sweet Claudette at Evening Muse, Charlotte.
• Sunday: Lake Wylie Children’s Charity Benefit Concert at T-Bones on the Lake, Clover; The Legendary Pink Dots, Orbit Service at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; The Vigil, The Seth Worley Band, Barely a Giant at Amos Southend, Charlotte; Griffin House at Visulite Theater, Charlotte; Make Your Mark Music Concert at Milestone, Charlotte; Electric Tomato Festival at The Chop Shop-NoDa, Charlotte and Warrant, Saliva at The LongBranch, Raleigh.
• Monday: Surfer Blood, Andy Boay at Visulite Theater, Charlotte; Open Mic with Chris Wilson and Planet Earth at Evening Muse, Charlotte; Monday Night All Stars at Double Door Inn, Charlotte and Open Mic with 3 Piece Bucket at Puckett’s Farm Equipment, Charlotte.
• Tuesday: iStandard Producers Showcase at The Chop Shop-NoDa, Charlotte; Cody Chesnutt, Myron and E at The Visulite Theater, Charlotte; The Weeknd, Anna Lunoe, Banks at Ovens Auditorium, Charlotte.; Beer Cocktails with Mike Waters, Stacey Leazer at Heist Brewery, Charlotte; Lera Lynn at Evening Muse, Charlotte;
• Wednesday: Enter The Haggis at Neighborhood Theater, Charlotte; Roger Creager, The Roosevelts, at Double Door Inn, Charlotte; Portugal The Man with Crystal Fighters at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Tosco Music Party at Evening Muse, Charlotte and Nick Shaw at Heist Brewery, Charlotte.
• Thursday: Grace Potter and The Nocturnals, Sam Roberts Band at The Fillmore, Charlotte. and Deicide,√ Broken Hope, more at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte;
“And that was all she wrote.”
Send bio, press kits, photos, music links to firstname.lastname@example.org. Find more details on Facebook, and myspace.com/jetrockmedia