The Class AAAA swimming state championships will be held Saturday in Columbia and Region 3-AAAA will be well represented in the South Carolina Natatorium. Warmups start at 3:05 p.m. and the meet begins at 4:15 p.m.
Several local names to watch include Fort Mills Zach Piedt, Clovers Morgan Rulevich, and Fort Mills Michelle Case and Madison Coughlen.
Piedt is seeded first in the 100 freestyle, second in the 50 freestyle, third in the 200 individual medley, and fifth in the 100 butterfly.
Rulevich, a state champion last season as a sophomore, is the No. 1 seed in the girls 50 freestyle, earning the nod by two tenths of a second over Riversides Jessi Snover. Shes also first in the 100 breaststroke and seventh in the 100 freestyle.
The names of Fort Mill duo Case and Coughlen are littered throughout the seedings.
Case is fourth in the 50 freestyle, just 0.19 seconds behind Rulevich. Case is the lone area girl in the top 10 in the 100 butterfly (eighth), and shes also fifth in the 100 freestyle.
Coughlen is seeded fourth in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:56.88, and is also seeded fourth in the 500 freestyle.
Other local top-10 seeded swimmers include:
• Katie Bono has the top seed in the girls 200 freestyle, after posting a 1:53.92 during a Sept. 12 meet against Lancaster. Thats more than two full seconds faster than the second-place entry.
• Fort Mills girls 200 medley relay is seeded fourth, and Clovers 10th. The Yellow Jacket 200 freestyle relay is the top seed overall, while Clover is ninth, and Fort Mills 400 freestyle relay is fifth.
• Clovers Kylie Entrinkin earned the top spot in the girls 200 individual medley. Her 1:59.15 was more than seven full seconds faster than Wandos Megan Kingsley in second place.
• South Pointes Izzi Woodard is fifth in the 100 breaststroke, and Madison Little from Fort Mill is right behind her in sixth.
• Fort Mills boys 200 medley relay is sixth, just under four seconds off the pace of first place Spartanburg.
• Four local boys round out the top five in the 200 freestyle. Nation Fords Brandon Sweezer is in second place, 0.13 seconds out of first, Fort Mills Jacob Kohlhoff is third and Sweezers brother David is fourth.
• Kohlhoff is 10th in the 100 freestyle.
• Nation Fords Robin Scherer is the top male 100 butterfly swimmer in the state heading into Saturday. His seed time is nearly half of second place William Oberg from Spartanburg CHECK.
• Its a local sweep in the top three of the 500 freestyle; Brandon Sweezer, David Sweezer and Kohlhoff are in the pole positions in that event on Saturday.
• Fort Mills boys 200 freestyle relay is third.
• Clovers Nathaniel Hartley is seeded ninth in 100 backstroke.
• Clovers John Slavens is tied for first overall in the 100 breaststroke with Northwesterns Riley League.
• Rock Hill's Jackson Bagwell is seeded fourth in the 50 freestyle and fourth in the 100 backstroke.
• Fort Mill is fourth and Clover ninth in the boys 400 freestyle relay.
Ex-Chester standout scores for Buffalo: Former Chester Cyclone Fred Lee caught a 36-yard touchdown pass to cap off the University of Buffalos 41-12 rout of Connecticut on Saturday. The touchdown grab was Lees first of the season, and his 15th catch overall, second best on the team.
South Pointes Pearson to start for Charlotte: Former South Pointe standout Devin Pearson didnt appear in Charlottes first two football games of the season the schools first two ever but by the fourth game was starting for the team at cornerback.
They havent really told me the reason, he said, but I guess they were just trying to give me the chance to see if I can play or not. They said I was the future of the corners; they wanted to see what I could do.
The 5-foot-11, 185-pound freshman has made 14 tackles, including 1.5 tackles-for-loss and a sack against nationally ranked James Madison. A former quarterback in high school, Pearson made 10 tackles in that game, a 34-7 Charlotte loss.
Pearson is one of just seven true freshmen thats seen playing time for the 49ers so far this season.
Bret McCormick • 803-329-4032, Twitter: @BretJust1T