ROCK HILL — Five adults and three children were displaced after an accidental kitchen fire erupted at a Rock Hill home early Thursday.
Twenty members of the Rock Hill Fire Department swarmed 992 Southland Drive after receiving calls about a kitchen fire at about 12:07 a.m., said Rock Hill Fire Battalion Chief Rusty Myers.
The flames were visible from the house, Myers said. Crews doused the blaze in at least 10 minutes.
The house's kitchen suffered the most burnt damage, while the rest of the house also suffered smoke damage, Myers said.
Officials estimate that the total damage estimate is $28,000, he said, and have determined the cause to be an accidental cooking fire.
Neighbor Annie Dacus said she heard the commotion early Thursday, but did not get up to look because she's accustomed to hearing noise from outside.
She doesn't know much about her neighbors, she said, though her granddaughters do sometimes play with one of the little boys.
The eight people living in the home have received assistance from the American Red Cross, which has provided them with hygiene products, clothing, food and temporary shelter, said Stephanie White, director of the Upper Palmetto Chapter of the American Red Cross.
The organization will "follow-up" with the family, she said, to ensure they have a long-term place to live within the next couple of days.
Within the past six days, the American Red Cross has provided assistance to more than 20 displaced people after responding to five house fires in the county, White said.
The Red Cross is bracing itself for more fires because of the cold snap, she said. Donations are needed.
"It takes $1,250 to support a family of four impacted by fire," according to a Red Cross news release.
Donations to Red Cross can be mailed to 200 Piedmont Blvd., Rock Hill, SC 29732.