Good Folks of York County will raise money for two local charities at its annual lunch Dec. 4 in the Richardson Ballroom at Winthrop University’s DiGiorgio Center.
Cost is $30 and reservations are due Friday. Buffet lines open at 11:45 a.m.
Proceeds will go to the Adult Enrichment Center in Rock Hill for a sheltered walkway to protect disabled adults from inclement weather and to the Palmetto Pregnancy Center in Rock Hill for ultrasound equipment and training.
Established more than 25 years ago, the all-volunteer Good Folks of York County raises money each year for deserving charities.
For information or to register for the lunch, visit goodfolksofyorkcounty.com or send a check to Good Folks of York County, P.O. Box 11528, Rock Hill, SC 29731-1528. All donations are tax deductible.
• The Tega Cay Lions Club will host its 39th annual Senior Citizens Christmas Party 1:30-3:30 p.m. Dec. 2 and 3 at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160 West in Fort Mill. Seniors from across York County are invited.
The event includes refreshments, bingo, live show by the Copy Cats, a visit from Santa and goody bags. For more information, call Janet Pritchard at 803-431-6120.
• Artists John and Jan Myers will have a holiday open house, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 29 and 30 at their farm, 1281 Legion Road, Hickory Grove.
In addition to the Myers’ pottery, work by sculptor Jonathan Williams will be available. For information visit myersart.net or call 803-985-2274.
• Dairy Barn Crafts Show will be 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 30 at the Anne Springs Close Greenway Dairy Barn, 250 Dairy Barn Lane, Fort Mill. Information: 803-547-1169.
• Tropical Sunrise restaurant, 135 S. Herlong Ave., Rock Hill, will hold a lunch buffet fundraiser Sunday to help typhoon survivors in the Philippines.
The event will be from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., with proceeds going to the Philippines through the American Red Cross.
Philippines native Tessie Baldwin and her husband, Roger, who operated Tropical Escape restaurant in Rock Hill for decades before opening Tropical Sunrise, are sponsoring the fundraiser. A restaurant employee, Veronica Mahaffy, is from the Philippines island of Samar that was damaged and had potentially thousands of deaths. She has not heard whether her family survived.
Buffet lunches with a drink will cost $12. The restaurant will accept donations all week through the Sunday event. For information, call 803-366-3888.
• The Woman's Club of Rock Hill’s Vendor Blender Christmas shop, 6-8 p.m. Tuesday at the clubhouse, 607 Aiken Ave., Rock Hill.
There will be 17 vendors and crafters, refreshments, door prizes and show specials. For information, call Lisa at 803-448-6790.
• A Winter Coat Drive for Safe Passage in Rock Hill will run through Dec. 13 at Fort Mill Ford, 801 Gold Hill Road.
All sizes are needed for children and women. Coats can be dropped off 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
• Bluegrass Travelers will close the 2013 season at Allison Creek Bluegrass Thursday at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church, off S.C. 274 in York. Doors open at 6 p.m. with music at 7 p.m.
The family-friendly event offers music for all ages. Concessions are available at 6:30 p.m. No cover charge. For information, visit www.allisoncreekbluegrass.com.
• York Comprehensive High School will host the University of South Carolina Concert Choir along with five area high school choirs at 7 p.m. Nov. 25 in the school auditorium.
Participating choirs are Fort Mill, Northwestern, South Pointe, Rock Hill and York. Each will perform selections prior to the USC Choir performance. Admission is $3 at the door.
• Winthrop University Vision of Prayze Gospel Choir’s fifth annual Fall Gospel Concert will be 5 p.m. Nov. 24 at Flint Hill Baptist Church, 1214 Flint Hill St., Rock Hill. Free admission.
• United Way of York County’s Sleigh Bell Network, partnering with WRHI’s Toys for Happiness Program and The Herald’s Empty Stocking Fund, will begin taking applications for holiday assistance at the following locations:
Family Resource Center, ParentSmart, 410 E. Black St., Rock Hill: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday and Dec. 6 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Phone number is 803-980-2079.
Family Resource Center, Parenting Partnerships, 37 Pinckney St., York: noon-3 p.m. Friday and Dec. 6. Phone number is 803-684-1504.
Applicants must live in York County and be the parent or legal guardian of an eligible child, age birth to 14. Applicant must sign up at one location and with no other assistance program. Photo ID and proof of income is required, as well as Social Security card for applicant and for each eligible child, as well as birth certificate for each eligible child. For additional information, call 803-980-8697.
Toys for all ages and $10 gift cards are greatly needed. Last year more than 2,700 local children received gifts through this community-supported effort.
Volunteer opportunities are available to collect and pack gift bags.
For information or to request volunteer group times, contact email@example.com or call 803-554-2803.
• Second Harvest Partners, sponsored by Providence Presbytery, will have a hunger relief site 9 a.m. Monday at Jerusalem Baptist, 1003 Steele St., Fort Mill.
Volunteers will help distribute food to participants who meet USDA eligibility income guidelines. For information, contact Catawba Area Agency on Aging at 803-329-9670.
• North Central Family Medical Center will host a class on the details and application process for the Affordable Care Act at 10 a.m. Saturday at 1121 Saluda St., Rock Hill. Walk-ins welcome.
• Piedmont Medical Center will offer a heart health screening, 7:30-10:30 a.m. Thursdayat the hospital Resource Center in the Women’s Center, ground floor.
Screening includes risk assessment, blood pressure, body mass index, lipid panel, blood sugar & EKG. Cost is $39.95. Must be fasting. To register, call 1-877-228-3638.
• York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners will meet 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Hwy., York. Open to the public. For information, contact Barbara O’Connell at 803-684-3137 ext. 101.
• Keystone board of directors will meet 6 p.m. Monday at the Keystone Prevention Center, 1600 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill. Open to the public. For information, call 803-324-4118.
• The Catawba Chapter of the DAR will meet at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday at the Ebenezer Church Parlor, 2132 Ebenezer Road. A veteran liaison officer will give the program. Members are asked to bring items for homeless veterans. The pecan sale is underway.
• York County Quilters will meet 7 p.m. Monday at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. Jane Godshall will talk about techniques of hand and machine quilting. She also will have fabrics and supplies for sale.
• The Western York County Branch of the NAACP executive board will meet 6 p.m. Thursday at Wesley United Methodist Church. Members meeting at 6:30p.m. For information, contact Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
• Riverwalk Academy, a new charter school for Rock Hill and surrounding communities, will have an open house 7-8 p.m. Tuesday at Faith Assembly of God, 2800 Faith Blvd., Rock Hill.
Riverwalk Academy is a publicly funded charter school open to all South Carolina residents. The school is scheduled to open August 2014, with grades K-5.
For information, visit RiverwalkAcademy.com, or call 803-873-9295.
The Upper Palmetto YMCA annual family ski trip to Aspen/Snowmass Colo. will be for Jan.15-20 at the Timberline Condominiums at Snowmass.
The trip includes lodging, equipment rentals, ski school, transfers, tips, taxes, lift tickets, and two “get acquainted dinners. Prices vary by room size. Open to the community.
For information, contact Jimmy Johnson at 803-324-9622 ext. 228 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The York County Animal Shelter needs volunteers to help with bathing, grooming, exercising, socializing, training, providing adoption information, and assisting in follow-ups, publicity and marketing, and various other jobs at the shelter. Volunteers must be 18 or older, and orientation and training are required. For information, call 803-628-3190 or go to the shelter at 713 Justice Boulevard, York.
• The Rock Hill High class of 1954 will not meet in November but will meet at 1 p.m. Dec. 5 at Golden Corral, Anderson Road. Regular meetings will resume in January.
• The Emmett Scott High School class of 1961 will celebrate a 70th Birthday Bash 6-9 p.m. Dec. 14 at Bannon Hall, across from St. Mary Catholic Church, Rock Hill. Wear Christmas attire for a Christmas meal and fellowship.
Cost is $20. Make check or money order payable to ESHS Class of 1961 and mail to PO Box 344, Rock Hill, SC 29731. RSVP with payment by Dec. 2.
• Northwestern/Rock Hill High class of 1973 40th reunion, 7 to 11 p.m. Dec. 28 at Hilton Garden Inn. Cost is $50 per person. RSVP by Nov. 20. Semi-formal dress. For information, call Debra at 803-517-0160, Brenda at 803-412-0327, Sandra at 803-370-0673, Betty at 704-281-7024 or Margaret at 803-367-3928.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group from 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information, call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets from 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Al-Anonmeets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
• Rock Hill Gamblers Anonymous meets 7:15 p.m. Thursdays at Covenant Presbyterian Church, 1830 Celanese Road.
• New Path divorce and separation support group meets 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, room 302-304 at First Baptist Church, 481 Hood Center Drive, Rock Hill. For information, call Jamie Burdette at 803-327-7181 or email email@example.com.
• Hospice & Community Care will host a Pet Grief Support Group 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., the third Tuesday of each month, 2275 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. For information or to register, call 803-329-1500 or 803-895-2273.
• The Rock Hill Multiple Myeloma Support Group meets 10-11:30 a.m. the third Saturday of each month at Catawba Baptist Church, 2659 Catawba Church Road. For information, contact Steve Nunn at 803-412-2266 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send Community News items to communitynews@herald online.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5. p.m. Wednesday.