LANCASTER — There were still no signs Thursday of the escaped Lancaster County Detention Center inmate who ran away from a work crew while picking up trash along a highway Tuesday afternoon.
Anthony Scott Vincent, who had been serving a 30-day commitment at the detention center on a breach of peace bench warrant, walked away from his work area between Old Charles Street and Airport Road at about 2 p.m., deputies said. He ran into the woods.
A supervisor chased Vincent before calling for backup, said Maj. Matt Shaw of the Lancaster County Sheriffs Office.
Vincent, Shaw said, had been arrested during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. He was scheduled to appear in court for a traffic citation but has now been charged with failure to appear.
Inmates are not bound with handcuffs or waist chains because chain gangs are frowned upon, Shaw said. Vincent was the only inmate working at the time and was under the supervision of a civilian Sheriffs Office employee.
Those employees, Shaw said, are not outfitted with Tasers or any other weaponry because they are not certified law enforcement officers.
Vincent was last seen wearing blue jeans with LCDC printed on the pant legs and a white T-shirt, authorities say. He weighs about 145 pounds, is 5 feet, 10 inches tall and has brown hair and blue eyes, according to the release. Vincent also has multiple tattoos, including some on his face.
Deputies have looked for Vincent, Shaw said, checking with friends, family members and other relatives who might know his whereabouts. So far, their efforts have been unsuccessful.
Vincent had not been imprisoned on violent charges, Shaw said, but he refrained from saying that the suspect is not a threat. Hes still an escaped inmate, he said.
In 2007, Vincent was sentenced to probation on four counts of second-degree nonviolent burglary. A year later, he was sentenced to 30 months behind bars for burglary but released to probation soon after, according to records with the State Law Enforcement Division.
He was sent to the state Department of Corrections in July 2009 after he was convicted of second-degree burglary again, said Clark Newsom, corrections spokesman. He was released from prison in October 2010 and placed on probation.
Vincent returned to state prison in January 2011 when he was convicted of grand larceny. He was released in September that year, Newsom said. He was placed on probation again in 2013 after he was convicted of first-degree assault and battery, records show.
Jonathan McFadden • 803-329-4082