• Grammy-winning jazz artist Ben Williams and Sound Effects will give a “Downtown Holiday Jazz” concert at 8 p.m. Friday at the City Club, 140 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Tickets are $40 for general seating and $80 for VIP tickets. Tickets are available at Barnes Hair Salon, 803-327-4441. Williams also will conduct workshops at Northwestern and South Pointe high schools.
• The Community Playhouse of Lancaster County presents “Nuncrackers, the Nunsense Christmas Musical” at a matinee 3 p.m. Sunday and 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday in Barr Street Auditorium, 610 E. Meeting St.
Tickets are $12 for adults; $8 for senior citizens and students and $5 for ages 10 and younger and are available at the Springs House, 201 W. Gay St. or at the door. For more information, contact the Lancaster County Council of the Arts at 803-285-7451.
• Grace Ministries presents a special Christmas service, “Beautiful Things,” 7 p.m. Friday with Three Days Leave and Grace Praise Team at the church on Mount Holly Road, Rock Hill.
• The choirs of York Comprehensive High School Christmas Concert will be 4 p.m. Sunday in the school auditorium. Performers include the Handbell Ensemble, Women’s Ensemble, Concert Choir and Chamber Singers. Admission is $4 at at the door.
• First Baptist Church of Fort Mill will present an “Evening of Christmas” 7 p.m. Thursday, with four-hand piano duets played by Alice Baker, pianist at the church, and Ann Cantrell Harris, former pianist and choir director at Tirzah ARP in York. The program will be in the fellowship hall. Free and open to the public.
• The Bethel United Methodist Church Soup Kitchen will open Jan. 9 at 1232 Curtis St., Rock Hill. Open to the community. Donations accepted.
• The second annual Joe Davis Memorial Resolution Run/Walk will be 9 a.m. Jan. 4 at Walter Elisha Park in Fort Mill. Register online at joedavisrun.com.
• Jessy Carolina & The Hot Mess, a New York City-based blues and jazz ensemble will perform 7:30 p.m. Jan. 18 at the Community Performance Center, 249 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Doors open at 7 p.m.
Tickets in advance are $20 for Arts Council of York County members, $25 general admission. All tickets are $30 at the door. For information, call 803-328-2787 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Eta Alpha Omega chapter presents “An Evening of Elegance and Timeless Service,” 7-11 p.m. Jan. 17 at The Gateway, 3202 Commerce Drive, Richburg. Tickets are $25 for the dinner dance. Cash bar. Semi-formal.
• Sterling Lodge No. 344, Living Beauty Temple No. 709 and Marietta Massey Youth Council No. 166 will give away toys to assist families in need. Applications are available from Warren Moore at 803-280-0637 or Gwen Finley at 803-322-3344 and are due Wednesday. Toys will be distributed on Saturday at the Elk Home, 1644 Ogden Road, Rock Hill.
• Family Trust Federal Credit Union will offer a free money management workshop “Know Your Dough: Inspiring Financial Freedom” 6:30-7:30 p.m. beginning Jan. 14 with Basic Budgeting at the Clover office, 1219 S.C. 55 East. Jennifer Panther, certified financial counselor at Financially Focused Inc., will speak.
Register at familytrust.org/knowyourdough or contact James Sheedy at 803-326-2187 or email@example.com to register. Handouts will be provided.
Other topics will include improving your credit score, home-buying basics, and documents needed in the event of death or incapacity. Speakers will include representatives from Family Trust’s Mortgage Service Center and Mitchell Payne of Warner, Payne and Black. Participants will be entered to win prizes at each workshop.
Other Clover workshops: Improve Your Credit Score, Feb. 11; Home-Buying Made Easy, March 11 and Growing Old is No Place for Sissies, April 7.
Fort Mill workshop: Home-Buying Made Easy, Feb. 4.
• AARP Drivers Safety Program will be offered for ages 26 and older 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday at Cox’s Harley Davidson, 1178 Galleria Blvd., Rock Hill. Participants will receive certificates that may reduce their insurance rates. Cost for AARP Members is $12 and $14 for nonmembers. Registration is required. To register, contact Gerald Kemp 803-684-9512 or Donald Hunt 803-329-4405.
• Keystone board of directors will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Keystone Prevention Center, 1600 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill. The public is invited to attend. For information call 803-324-4118.
• The Western York County branch of the NAACP executive board meeting will be 6 p.m. Thursday at The United Men’s Club of Clover. The regular meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. For information, contact Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
• The Rock Hill Shag Club Christmas Party will be 8 p.m. Saturday at Celebrations at Ramada Inn, Rock Hill.
The event features a turkey dinner with all the fixings, free shooters, 50/50 drawing and DJ Roger Holcomb. Free admission for members and $5 for guests. For information, call Candy Long at 803-324-8756.
• The Rock Hill Civitan Club Christmas Party will be 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Mary’s Café on Firetower Road. Members are asked to bring a “secret Santa” gift to exchange. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*• Volunteers are needed to help at the Men’s Homeless Shelter at Bethel United Methodist Church, Curtis Street, Rock Hill. The shelter opens at 6 p.m. daily.
Volunteers help with meals and sorting donated clothing.
Also needed are nonperishable items such as bottled water, decaf coffee, Vienna sausages, socks and individually-wrapped snacks.
Monetary donations are welcome.
For information, call Sandy at the church at 803-327-4881, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday-Thursday.
*• AARP will offer free tax preparation in 2014 at the Fort Mill Library in Baxter Village. Volunteers are needed to help with tax return filing. To sign up, visit AARP.org/taxvolunteer.
Study guides will be provided and classes will be in January. Tax preparations will begin Feb. 4 and continue every Tuesday and Thursday until April 15.
• Northwestern/Rock Hill High class of 1973 40th reunion will be 6-11 p.m. Dec. 28 at Hilton Garden Inn, Rock Hill. Deadline to make reservations is Wednesday. Cost is $50 per person. For information call Debra at 803-517-0160, Sandra at 803-370-0673 or Betty at 704-281-7024.
• A 60th birthday party and holiday celebration, sponsored by Emmett Scott/Rock Hill High class of 1971, will be 8 p.m.-midnight Dec. 27 at the City Club, 140 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Cost is $35 per person. Cash bar. Music by “Sir Nose.” Semi-formal. For information, call Cleopatra at 240-463-4314, Patricia at 803-448-3802, Harriett at 803-329-0140 or Phyllis at 803-329-2862.
• The first meeting of the Carolinas Myositis Support Group-Charlotte Region will be Jan. 11. For information call Brenda Austin at 803-222-4091.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information, call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets from 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Al-Anonmeets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
• New Path divorce and separation support group meets 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, room 302-304 at First Baptist Church, 481 Hood Center Drive, Rock Hill. For information, call Jamie Burdette at 803-327-7181 or email email@example.com.
• Hospice & Community Care will host a Pet Grief Support Group 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, 2275 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. For information or to register, call 803-329-1500 or 803-895-2273.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5. p.m. Wednesday.