York teen allegedly stabbed by 11-year-old released from hospital

adys@heraldonline.comDecember 30, 2013 

— The York teen who police say was stabbed in the back with a steak knife by an 11-year-old two days before Christmas has been released from the hospital, according to family members.

The 15-year-old had to undergo surgery to remove the knife from his back, said his stepmother and his grandfather. He was kept for several days at a Charlotte hospital for observation after the surgery. The teen is staying with another family member as he recuperates, said his grandfather, William Jones.

“He got out Sunday and we hope he improves,” Jones said.

The 15-year-old is now able to walk around, family members said.The knife did not hit any internal organs.

Because of the ages of the victim and the defendant, authorities have not released the names of either child.

York Police officers charged the 11-year-old neighbor with attempted murder after the wounded child identified his attacker by name, according to the police report. That younger child remains in the custody of the S.C. Department of Juvenile Justice, and is scheduled for an initial appearance in York County Family Court on Jan. 7.

York Police could not be reached Monday afternoon to discuss the case. However, an adult witness told police that both of the boys were among a group of boys who were at a home on Singletary Lane in York before the stabbing, according to the police report.

“The victim took a hat and started hitting the suspect in the face,” the witness told police. “The suspect told the victim to stop. The victim did not stop and a fight started. The other boys broke up the fight.”

Police responded and found the 15-year-old on the sidewalk on U.S. 321 near his grandparents’ home.

The mother of the 11-year-old told The Herald last week that her son had been bullied and beaten up before the stabbing, but family members of the 15-year-old victim disputed that version of events. The boys were friends before the incident, said the stepmother of the 15-year-old.

Andrew Dys • 803-329-4065

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service