South Pointe and Northwestern are Nos. 6 and 7 in the recent South Carolina Basketball Coaches Association boys basketball state rankings, released Wednesday morning.
Two more local boys teams are ranked. Nate Smiths Indian Land team is steady at No. 6 in Class AA, while Great Falls is No. 8 in Class A.
There was also an appearance for Fort Mills girls, which are No. 9 in Class AAAA after a promising start under new coach Brett Childers. The Yellow Jackets knocked off Northwestern Tuesday night to move to 11-2 overall and 3-0 in Region 3-AAAA, garnering statewide attention in the process. Childers squad has just one playing averaging double-digit scoring, point guard Madison Hendrix (13.8 points per game), and the Yellow Jackets are turning the ball over just under eight times a game thus far.
1. Goose Creek; 2. Hillcrest; 3. Irmo; 4. Gaffney; 5. Wando; 6. South Pointe; 7. Northwestern; 8. Dorman; 9. N. Augusta; 10. Woodmont;
1. Hartsville; 2. Midland Valley; 3. Eastside; 4. Westwood; 5. Travelers Rest; 6. Dreher; 7. Greenville; 8. N. Myrtle Beach; 9. Myrtle Beach; 10. AC Flora
1. Lake Marion; 2. Newberry; 3. Keenan; 4. Kingstree; 5. Lake City; 6. Indian Land; 7. Garrett Academy; 8. Battery Creek; 9. Mullins; 10. Edisto
1. Whale Branch; 2. Southside Christian; 3. St. Josephs; 4. Greenville Tech; 5. Brashier Middle College; 6. Fox Creek; 7. Baptist Hill; 8. Great Falls; 9. Calhoun Falls; 10. Wagener-Salley.
1. Dorman; 2. Spring Valley; 3. Irmo; 4. Goose Creek; 5. South Florence; 6. West Florence; 7. Dutch Fork; 8. Colleton County; 9. Fort Mill; 10. Greenwood.
1. Orangeburg-Wilkinson; 2. Lower Richland; 3. Daniel; 4. Dreher; 5. Blue Ridge; 6. Wren; 7. Crestwood; 8. Chapin; 9. Hilton Head; 10. St. James.
1. Fairfield Central; 2. Bishop England; 3. Dillon; 4. Ninety Six; 5. Mullins; 6. Kingstree; 7. Andrew Jackson; 8. Keenan; 9. Saluda; 10. Columbia.
1. Hemingway; 2. Timmonsville; 3. Carvers Bay; 4. Latta; 5. Whale Branch; 6. Denmark-Olar; 7. Calhoun Falls; 8. Baptist Hill; 9. Wagener-Salley; 10. Lake View.
Lancaster football coaching search update
Lancaster High School athletic director Mark Strickland said in an email Tuesday that hes received nearly 40 applications for the schools vacant head football coaching position. The opening will be listed on the school districts job board until Jan. 17, when it will be closed and Strickland and school administrators will begin whittling down the pile and deciding which candidates to interview. Bruins head coach Bennie McMurray announced his retirement in November, creating the opening.
Paxton, Ruppe commit to Winthrop
South Pointe senior boys' cross country runner Gabriel Paxton has committed to run at Winthrop for coach... his dad, Ben Paxton. SCMilesplit.com announced the news on Tuesday in an interview with Paxton. He told the web sites John Olson I am excited to run for my dad. I know he always wanted to coach me and now he gets the chance. I still haven't exactly figured out whether or not to call him dad or coach... so that is the biggest concern.
SCMilesplit.com also reported Tuesday that Rock Hill High School senior runner Cameron Ruppe has also committed to Winthrop. Ruppe was the Heralds All-Area boys cross country Runner of the Year this past fall.
USA Today All-South Carolina team released
Northwestern quarterback Mason Rudolph added to his awards haul Tuesday when USA Today named him South Carolinas high school football Offensive Player of the Year. Rudolph was joined on USA Todays All-South Carolina team by teammates Quadarius Fair (receiver) and Corey Seargent (safety), and South Pointe duo Josh Massey (cornerback) and Zeek Rodney (defensive line). Spring Valleys Alabama commitment Christian Miller was named Defensive Player of the Year.
Rudolph left Wednesday for Oklahoma where he will enroll for the spring semester at Oklahoma State and begin practice with Mike Gundys Cowboys immediately.
Rodney to visit Syracuse, Wake Forest this month
Speaking of Rodney, the South Pointe pass-rushing terror will make an official visit to Syracuse University Friday for the weekend, before taking an official visit to Wake Forest on Jan. 24. Rodney said he plans to watch Syracuses ACC basketball game against Pittsbuurgh on Saturday, as well as touring the campus, and meeting potential teammates and coaches.
Bret McCormick • 803-329-4032; Twitter: @BretJust1T