Rock Hill man accused in drive-by charged as 3rd suspect in homicide

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comJanuary 14, 2014 

Abdul Emmanuel

— The Rock Hill man who surrendered himself to police after he allegedly fired shots at a man while driving a blue Jeep last week has been identified as the third suspect in the city's first homicide this year.

Abdul Omar Emmanuel, 19, turned himself in to police again late Tuesday in connection with the shooting death of 25-year-old Michael Giddens. Maurice Burris, 16, and Dontavion White, 17, turned themselves in to police on Monday. They were both charged with murder, criminal conspiracy, possession of a weapon during a violent crime, possession of a weapon while under 18 and armed robbery.

Emmanuel will likely face the same charges, police said. A bond hearing is scheduled for Wednesday morning.

Police found Giddens with several gunshot wounds after responding to a Cedar Grove Lane home at about 2 p.m. last Friday. He was pronounced dead at Piedmont Medical Center. Witnesses reported seeing a man chase Giddens into his house before they heard gunshots go off. The suspects then fled in a blue Mercury Mountaineer, which was later found abandoned on Sirrine Street, off Dave Lyle Boulevard. Another unidentified man fled in a white Kia, which was found abandoned at Calvary Baptist Church on North Jones Avenue.

Witness statements and anonymous tips helped police develop Burris and White as suspects, authorities said. Giddens is Rock Hill's first homicide victim this year. His family and friends say he was a tattoo artist who enjoyed customizing cars and playing video games. Police have not yet released a motive in his death.

Last Thursday, a man, 20, told police that he was on the porch of a Flint Street home when several people pulled up in a blue Jeep, according to a Rock Hill police report. Emmanuel, who the victim managed to identify, pulled out a gun and pointed it at him. The man began to run, but the Jeep followed him until he ran back to the Flint Street home, where Emmanuel fired three shots at him.

The report does not indicate whether the man was hit or not. Police swarmed the area, but could not find the Jeep or bullets. Police issued warrants on Emmanuel, who turned himself in on Sunday.

Emmanuel turned himself in to police on Sunday and was charged with attempted murder, criminal conspiracy, possession of a firearm during a violent crime and carrying a pistol unlawfully, according to Rock Hill police records. He was released from jail on a $10,000 bond Monday afternoon.

By late Tuesday, he had turned himself in to authorities a second time. Police do not believe the two incidents are connected.

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service