Big things are brewing for a Rock Hill night spot that has changed hands, changed its name and undergone some remodeling . After a bit of fine tuning, it’s time for the grand opening weekend for City Limits South – formerly The Long Branch.
City Limits South is the newest venture from the North Carolina company responsible for City Limits Saloon in Raleigh and City Limits Saloon in Wilmington, according to owner Kevin Frazier, who along with his partners purchased The Long Branch in late 2013. “We predominantly do national country shows and are a dance hall as well,” Frazier said.
In the past decade, the Raleigh venue has garnered recognition as an original country music party bar aimed at securing the title of “home for all new and national country artists,” thanks to appearances by Miranda Lambert, Eric Church, Florida Georgia Line and more.
“We are very excited to bring our concept to Rock Hill and hope to grow in South Carolina,” he said. “We will be hosting the best in regional and national country artists, as well as hosting DJ-driven dance nights playing everything from country to Top 40 and 80s party singalongs.”
All the dancing and musical fun kicks off officially with Big Red and Steel Horse live on Friday, followed by Jason Michael Carroll on Saturday, with an afterparty hosted by DJ Richie Rich.
Incidentally, here’s some scoop on Carroll, who hails from Youngsville, N.C., and released his debut album, “Waiting in the Country,” in 2006.
The album rose to No. 1 on the U.S. country charts thanks in part to three Top 40 hit tunes, “Alyssa Lies,” “Livin’ Our Love Song,” and “I Can Sleep When I’m Dead.”
Two more albums followed, both charting on the Billboard Top 200. Out on tour, Carroll has opened for Trace Adkins, Alan Jackson and Brooks and Dunn, and was featured on the 2008 tour of Carrie Underwood and Martina McBride.
Look for a new album soon, but in the meantime, find Carroll live Saturday at the grand opening of City Limits South, 761 Riverview Road in Rock Hill. For details, call 803-327-2789 or check facebook.com/CityLimitsSouth. For more on Carroll’s music, visit jasonmichaelcarroll.com and find him on Facebook.
• Friday: Rudy Currence at The Edge-DiGiorgio Campus Center, Winthrop University, Rock Hill; Mason Schmitt at Amici Lovin Oven, Rock Hill; Square Roots at RC’s Sandbar, Fort Mill.
• Saturday: David Griffin at Ledo’s Pizza, Rock Hill; Alan Barrington at Amici Lovin Oven, Rock Hill; Carolina Rhythm Band at Midtown Bar and Grill, Fort Mill; The Deadfields at Wild Wing Café-Ayrsley, Charlotte.
• Sunday: Chimaira, Oceano, Fit for An Autopsy, Reflections at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; Skinny Puppy, Army of the Universe at Amos Southend, Charlotte; Joe Pug, David Ramirez at Visulite Theater, Charlotte.
• Tuesday: Lauryn Hill at The Fillmore, Charlotte.
• Wednesday: Jim Garrett and Chris Payne at Double Door Inn, Charlotte; Appalucia, K9 Unit, more at Snug Harbor, Charlotte; Chasing Pedestrians, The Gallery at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Dixie Moon at Puckett’s Farm Equipment, Charlotte and Phil Cook and The Guitarheels at The Evening Muse, Charlotte.
• Thursday: Vinyl Day at The Vault, Rock Hill.
“And that was all she wrote.”