Fire burns home in Lesslie, residents, dog escape unharmed

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comFebruary 8, 2014 

— Fire tore through a three-story brick home in the Lesslie community Saturday morning, burning a car, blackening an attached garage and leaving firefighters scrambling to find one resident’s medications.

About 9:45 a.m. volunteer fire departments from Lesslie and Oakdale responded to a call that a home on Neely Store Road, about two miles away from Lesslie Elementary School, was on fire.

A neighbor helped the residents escape the home, along with their dog, and removed a gas jug and propane tank from the garage, Lesslie Volunteer Fire Cheif Larry McConnell said. No injuries were reported.

By the time crews arrived, the flames had engulfed the garage, burning the car where officials suspect the blaze first began. As the garage burned, the car’s gas tank erupted.

McConnell said the flames went through the garage’s ceiling and into the attic.

Fire crews pumped about 12,000 gallons of water onto the blaze.

Neighbor Tangela Mosar helped comfort the home’s owners. After spotting smoke come from the couple’s garage, Mosar said her stepfather ran across the street and knocked on the door to alert his neighbors, who were unaware anything was burning.

The woman living at the home had just returned home, Mosar said.

The residents temporarily displaced by the flames declined to comment.

Officials estimate the fire caused $150,000 in damage. Most of the structure itself is intact, McConnell said, but the walls will have to be replaced.

A shell of a car, whose make and model were unknown Saturday, was left behind in the garage, with the metal body of the seats still intact but everything else melted into a heap of ash and char. The front and far left sides of the home closest to the garage took the brunt of the damage. The basement barely suffered any damage, officials said.

The American Red Cross will help the residents with shelter, clothing and food. Their pet dog was secured inside a car. Though their home is not a total loss, they will not be able to live there until the extensive smoke and water damage is repaired.

The York County Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating. An official cause of the fire was not available on Saturday.

Jonathan McFadden •  803-329-4082

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service