Cupid is on the loose and love is in the air, making it a groovy time for a Valentine’s Day session with The Spongetones live Friday at Smokey Joe’s Café in Charlotte.
Hanging with The ’Tones is especially timely on top of the recent mega celebrations honoring The Beatles’ 50th Anniversary of their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show, resulting conquest of American music lovers.
Nothing could be finer than the Carolinas’ own fab four with their spot on renderings of tunes from Paul, Ringo, George and John, plus Spongetone’s originals. The band features the talents of Steve Stoeckel, bass/ukelele/vocals/guitars/songwriting; Jamie Hoover, guitars/vocals/occasional bass and drums/songwriting; Rob Thorne, drums/percussion and Pat Walters, guitars/vocals/keyboards.
Their own illustrious career as a band began in 1979 thrilling audiences with crafty covers of Beatles tunes – something no one had really dared to attempt until then. Along with the faithful rendering of moptop music, The Spongetone’s excelled equally at covering music from the British Invasion legends and 70s rock plus producing their own power pop rock originals from some 15 LPS.
True trailblazers, The Spongetones tapped into a significantly powerful vein of musical devotion shared by band and fans alike early on, filling a live music void for this vast audience. Their finesse for capturing the aura and zeitgeist of those 60’s glory days and resulting musical era that followed is nothing short of legendary on its own.
Jangley sparkling pop rock reigns with a feel good format that never goes out of style. In honor of The Beatles’ 50 year TV milestone, Stoeckel promises a “Beatle-heavy songlist” assuring all that weather would not be a showstopper vowing “neither rain nor snow nor dark of night shall stay us from our appointed gig.”
See this as an area version of last weekend’s Grammy salute to the lads from Liverpool. ‘All you need is Love’ and a little ‘yeah yeah yeah’ musical brilliance for a bright Valentine vibe via The Spongetones, Friday at Smokey Joe’s Café, 510 Briar Creek at Monroe roads, Charlotte. Call 704-338-9380 for show details. Visit spongetones.com for more on the music.
• Friday: Jake Haldenwang Valentine Night Acoustic Show at McHale’s On Main, Rock Hill; McGroover at Empire Pizza, Rock Hill; Donnie Honeycutt Solo (10 pm) at Empire Pizza, Rock Hill; Chubby Knuckles at Amici Lovin Oven, Rock Hill; Analog Machine Duo (4-8 pm) at Hickory Tavern-Ballantyne, Charlotte; Chris Peigler Punk Party at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; Anything Once, Marytre, Messenger Down, Skyfold, Something Clever at Amos Southend, Charlotte; Scott Ainslie at Great Aunt Stella Center, Charlotte; Tony Joe White, Jonah Tolchin at Double Door Inn, Charlotte; Pat Metheny Unity Band at Knight Theater, Charlotte; Open Mic Night at McGlohon Theater, Blumenthal Performing Arts Center,Charlotte; 22nd Annual Johnson Valentine Bash with Hardcore Lounge, Belmont Playboys atSnug Harbor, Charlotte; Dark Star Orchestra at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Kenny Floyd at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Cindy Kay and Scottie J Acoustic at Big Al’s Pub & Grubberia, Charlotte.
• Saturday: JukeBox Mafia at City Limits South, Rock Hill; Sandpaper at Amici Lovin Oven, Rock Hill; The Oneppo Brothers Band at Midtown Sundries-Indian Land, Fort Mill; The Lettermen at Bundy Auditorium-USC Lancaster; Hysteria, Deep Sky at Amos Southend, Charlotte; Black Joe Lewis, Pickwick at Visulite Theatre, Chazrlotte; Gal Friday’s CD Release Party at The Double Door, Charlotte; Casket Girls, The Stargazer Lillies, more at Snug Harbor, Charlotte; Chris Peigler Punk Party Part 2 with Antiseen, Dirty South Revolutionaries, Leisure McCorkle, more at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte; The Casket Girls, The Stargazer Lillies, Dreamend at Snug Harbor, Charlotte; Perfect Strangers Acoustic at Yellow Rose-Touchstone, Charlotte; Drop It with Mimosa at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Porcelain Mary at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Triple C Folk Festival with Jim Avett, Ancient Cities, Josh Daniel, more at Triple C Brewery, Charlotte; Jagged Edge, High Five at Ovens Auditorium, Charlotte; Wild Roses and Horses at Puckett’s Farm Equipment, Charlotte; Dre Day at Neighborhood Theater, Charlotte; Malcolm Holcombe, Sam Lewis at Evening Muse, Charlotte.
• Sunday: John Brown’s Body, Lionize at the Visulite Theater, Charlotte; Shawn James and The Shapeshifters, County Graves at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Wink Keziah CD Release Party at Double Door Inn, Charlotte; Jumpcuts, Pippi Armstrong, Miami Dice at The Saloon-NC Music Factory,Charlotte.
• Monday: Trey Anastasio Band at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Carson Hill CD Release Party at Beantown Tavern, Matthews.
• Tuesday: Andrew Ripp, Judah and The Lion at Evening Muse, Charlotte; The Sword, Big Business, O’Brother at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte.
• Wednesday: The Oneppo Brothers Duo at The End Zone, Rock Hill; Shpongle-The Museum of Consciousness Tour at Amos Southend, Charlotte; Jonathan Wilson, The Blank Tapes at Visulite Theater, Charlotte; Appalucia, Stranger Day, Late Bloomer, Kyle Perkins Band at Snug Harbor,Charlotte; Elonzo at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Toby Creek at Puckett’s Farm Equipment, Charlotte; Pretty Things Peepshow at The Chop Shop-NoDa, Charlotte.
• Thursday: Blackberry Smoke at The Fillmore, Charlotte; Randy Allen & Southern Xpress at The Saloon-NC Music Factory, Charlotte; Scott Miller at Double Door Inn, Charlotte.
Send bios, press kits, photos, music links to email@example.com. Find more details on Facebook, and myspace.com/jetrockmedia.