The St. Patrick’s Day on Main Festival will be 4:30-9:30 p.m. March 17 in downtown Rock Hill. The festival will will feature live Irish/Celtic music from the Federal Clan Kings and The Thistledown Tinkers, Irish dancers from Walsh Kelley School of Irish Dancing and Rince na h’ Eireann Dance School of Traditional Irish Dance, arts and crafts vendors, amusement area for children, food and beverages and Pickles Da Clown. Free admission. The schedule can be found www.onlyinoldtown.com.
• The sixth annual Red and White Social has been rescheduled for 5 p.m. March 8 at the Silver Eagles of the Community Family Life Center of Union Baptist Church, at Mount Gallant Road at S.C. 274. Cost is $5. RSVP to 803-366-1556 and indicate the number attending.
• Southern Sweet Tea and Pearls, a traditional Southern tea hosted by the York County Woman’s Club, will be 2 p.m. April 12 at the home of Judy McCardle, 471 Lakeside Drive, Rock Hill. Tickets are $25. For reservations, call Judy at 803-493-6530 or email email@example.com. Proceeds benefit Safe Passage and Tender Hearts.
• The 20th anniversary “Be Irish for a Night” Pilgrims’ Inn fundraiser will be 6:30 p.m. March 15 at St. Anne Parish Life Center, 1696 Bird St., Rock Hill. The event includes a corned beef and cabbage dinner, homemade Irish soda bread and desserts, wine, beer, soft drinks, coffee, Irish dancers, Irish music, live and silent auctions, 50/50 split the pot, and door prizes. Tickets are $40, of which $30 is tax deductible. For tickets and sponsorships contact Ronnie at 803-327- 7002 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Arts Council of Chester County’s Eighth Annual Oyster Roast and Auction will be 6-9 p.m. Saturday at the South Carolina National Guard Armory, 1025 Armory Road in Chester.
The event will feature silent and live auctions, all-you-can-eat steamed oyster bar and lowcountry boil buffet, slaw, bread, dessert, and sweet tea. Cash bar available for beer and wine. Doors open at 6 p.m., and food will be served from 6:45-7:45 and the auction begins about 8.
General seating is $40 for members and $45 nonmembers. No tickets are sold at the event. Cash or checks only.
Tickets are available until Wednesday at 123 Main St., call Lauren Medlin at 803-581-2030 or email email@example.com. Proceeds will benefit arts programming, exhibits, classes, youth art workshops, and other programs.
• Bethel United Methodist Church soup kitchen opens at 11 a.m. Thursday at the church on Curtis Street, Rock Hill. Open to the community. Donations accepted.
• Keystone board of directors will meet 6 p.m. Monday at the Keystone Prevention Center, 1600 Ebenezer Road Rock Hill. Open to the public. For information, call 803-324-4118.
• S.C. Sen. Wes Hayes and S.C. Rep. Ralph Norman are sponsoring a public forum on Common Core Standards, 7-9 p.m. Monday at Laurel Creek, Rock Hill.
Jane Robbins with American Principles Project and Sheri Few, South Carolina Parents Involved in Education president, will present the opposition.
Judy Mobley, Rock Hill school district’s executive director of secondary education and Clover school district assistant superintendent Sheila Quinn will speak in favor.
• The York County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs will meet 7 p.m. Thursday at the Administration Building, 7900 Park Place Road in the East York Industrial Park, off S.C. 5 in York. Open to the public.
• The Rock Hill branch of the NAACP general meeting will be 5 p.m. Sunday at Bannon Hall across from St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road. For information, contact Sandra Oborokumo at 803-325-2855. The youth division will meet at 4 p.m. Sunday at the church.. For information, contact Deborah Saunders at 803-517-5014. The executive meeting will be 6 p.m. March 6 at Freedom Temple Ministries, 215 E. Main St. For information, call Sandra Oborokumo at 803-366-2184 or 803-325-2855.
• The York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners will meet at 4:30 p.m. Monday at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Hwy., York. Open to the public. For information, contact Barbara O’Connell at 803-684-3137 ext. 101.
• Tega Cay Vintage Club dinner meeting will be Wednesday in the Phil Glennon Community Center with cocktails at 6:15 p.m. and dinner at 7. Entertainment will be singer Les Marple. Membership is open to residents of Tega Cay. For information, call Julia Rietz at 803-396-0203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Annual dues of $15 are due by April 1.
• AARP Drivers Safety Program will be offer three classes next week for ages 26 and older. Participants will get certificates that may reduce the insurance rate on collision and liability coverage. Cost is $15 for for AARP members and $20 for nonmembers. Registration is required.
9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday at Toyota of Rock Hill, 640 Galleria Blvd., Rock Hill. To register, contact Gerald Hensley at 803-789-5810.
9 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday at Cox Harley-Davidson, 1178 Galleria Blvd., Rock Hill. To register, contact W.T. Holmes at 864-993-6703 or Donald Hunt at 803-329-4405.
9 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday at York County Library, East Liberty Street, York. To register, contact Gerald Kempt at 803-684-9512.
• Piedmont Medical Center will offer free seminars on surgical weight loss Tuesday and Thursday. For times and location, call 877-228-3638.
• The Fort Mill branch YMCA offers spring programs for all ages including youth soccer and t-ball, youth mechanical and aerospace engineering classes, adult sewing, boot camp, and fitness express, Bricks 4 Kidz Lego-based classes and performing arts workshops for third- to seventh-graders. For information, please contact email@example.com.
• The York County Animal Shelter needs volunteers to help with bathing, grooming, exercising, socializing, training, providing adoption information, and assisting in follow-ups, publicity and marketing, and various other jobs at the shelter. Volunteers must be 18 or older, and orientation and training are required. For information call 803-628-3190 or go to the shelter at 713 Justice Boulevard, York.
• Agape Senior will host a drop-in for volunteers, 1-6 p.m. Thursday Agape Senior Assisted Living Rock Hill, 1785 Lexington Commons Drive, Rock Hill. Kay Lee, volunteer manager, will be available to answer your questions about the volunteer ministry. For information, call 803-517-2021 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• First Baptist Church Preschool of York is taking registration for 3 and 4 year olds for 2014-2015 school year. Half-day programs are offered for three and five days from 9 a.m.-noon. For information, call Beth at 803-448-6439 or visit FBCYorkPreschool.org
• Partners in Business health and wellness fair will be 8 a.m.-noon March 12 in the Palmetto Room in downtown Rock Hill. The event includes health screenings, health information and door prizes. Free admission.
• Carolinas Medical Center-Pineville will host a community health talk, “Removing the Stigma: A Prostate Cancer Discussion” 6:30 p.m. March 4 at the Rock Hill City Club, East Main Street. Dr. David Nix of Carolina Cancer Specialists, a partner of Levine Cancer Institute, will speak.
Free and a light dinner will be provided. For more information or to RSVP, call 704-667-6507 or visit CarolinasHealthCare.org/HealthTalksRh.
• Rock Hill High class of 1954 will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Golden Corral, Anderson Road. All classmates and friends are invited.
• Rock Hill chapter of Finley High School alumni will meet at 5 p.m. Monday at Jackson’s Cafeteria 1735 Heckle Blvd. For information, call Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547 or James T. Dunham at 704-232-0793.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets from 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Al-Anonmeets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
• New Path divorce and separation support group meets 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, room 302-304 at First Baptist Church, 481 Hood Center Drive, Rock Hill. For information call Jamie Burdette at 803-327-7181 or email email@example.com.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.