Clover school bond committee ‘cautiously optimistic’

jbecknell@enquirerherald.comMarch 8, 2014 

— Committee members promoting the Clover schools’ $67 million construction bond are “cautiously optimistic” about the March 22 vote.

Rose Cummings, chairwoman of the Vote Yes committee, told school board members last week that members have been speaking in the community and providing information about the plan.

The school district has proposed $99 million worth of construction, including new middle and elementary schools, a renovated ninth-grade academy, athletic facility improvements and an aquatics center. The district plans to make a $32 million down payment to reduce the amount it would need to borrow.

“We have found that when we engage people and have a conversation with them, they are very supportive,” Cummings told the board.

The group has scheduled two events to provide information about the school bond proposal:

• An information fair from 5 to 7 p.m. March 18 at Lake Wylie Christian Assembly. The event, in the children’s church area, will provide details about each of the projects planned with the bond.

• Tours of Clover High School on Tuesday. Tours are scheduled at 9 and 10:30 a.m. and 2 and 6 p.m. Anyone interested should arrive at the school’s media center at the tour time.

“We are encouraging people to get out and vote, because every vote counts,” Cummings said. “It’s the only thing on the ballot that day, so it’s going to be very important that you come out and vote.”

Kelly Clayton with Cummings Inc., the district’s construction management firm, told board members that if the bond is approved, construction of the two new schools is expected to begin by the end of the year.

Grading and other work on the school sites would begin immediately, he said, as design plans for the new schools are being completed.

Memorial Stadium work would begin after the close of the 2014 football season, he said.

There is a “very ambitious” time frame for the construction projects, Superintendent Marc Sosne said.

“Pending passage of the bond referendum,” he said, “we will have a lot of activity for three or four years.”

Jennifer Becknell •  803-329-4077

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service