More charges filed against Rock Hill father accused of drunkenly dropping infant daughter

jmcfadden@heraldonline.comMarch 27, 2014 

Bryan George

— Abuse charges have been filed against a Rock Hill father accused of dropping his 7-week-old infant onto the edge of a bed, resulting in injuries to her arms, legs and ribs, authorities say.

Deputies on Wednesday charged Bryan Wayne George, 28, with abuse that caused great bodily injury on a child, said York County Sheriff's Office spokesman Trent Faris. Held at the York County Detention Center without bond, George had already been charged last week with unlawful neglect of a child. So far, George remains the only suspect charged in connection with the girl's injuries.

An arrest warrant for the neglect charge claims that an intoxicated George dropped his young daughter onto the edge of a bed frame before she continued falling to the floor. The warrant indicates the fall happened last Friday. Arrest documents for the abuse charge states that George's "reckless actions" contributed to the girl's injuries.

Authorities were alerted to the girl's injuries last Saturday when a caseworker with the York County office of the Department of Social Services was called to Piedmont Medical Center, where hospital staff reported treating a girl with suspicious injuries.

The girl's mother, 22, told investigators that she was in the shower at her home on the Catawba Indian Reservation while her daughter was lying in a bassinet. Once she got out, she heard the baby crying "to the point that it scared her," according to a York County Sheriff's report.

When the mother went into the bedroom, she found George holding the girl to calm her, the report states. The mother went to warm a bottle and later found George lying in the bed with the girl. As she entered the room, George told the mother that the girl spit up. She turned on the light and found a pool of blood on George’s chest.

Once at the hospital, doctors performed X-rays and realized the girl suffered from a fractured leg and broken arm. Deputies placed the girl and her older sister, 2, in emergency protective custody. They were later given to DSS.

If convicted on both charges, George faces up to 25 years in prison. Court records show that he was charged with criminal domestic violence two weeks ago after he allegedly sent text messages to Nicole Brock, the mother of his 2-year-old daughter, and threatened to kill and rape her.

Brock, 21, told deputies that she had been receiving the disturbing messages for several days from an Internet account with the user-name, "stud24." When she left work on March 13, she found George waiting in her car so she could take him home, according to a York County Sheriff's report. Though romantically separated, Brock told police she and George were still living at the same house. Brock and George broke up because they argued constantly “and I didn’t want my child around it,” she told The Herald.

At the time, they continued living together because his family would not take him back in, she said.

While in the car on March 13, George got on the phone and Brock soon received another message, the report states. She looked at Gregory’s phone, opened his Internet browser and saw a screen showing that he sent the messages. She ran back inside her job and called police.

George denied sending the messages, saying he just purchased the phone that day and was unsure how the messages got onto the phone, the report states. Brock told deputies George had the phone for at least a week.

“We lived together; I know when he gets stuff,” she said. “He’s still denying it.”

She had a restraining order issued against George and kicked him out of her house, Brock said. Before he became “creepy,” George helped watch their daughter while she worked and was never violent with the girl until Brock says he threatened to kill the girl. About allegedly hurting his other daughter, Brock said, “I wouldn’t put it pass him.”

She said she and the mother of George’s youngest child went to high school together. Brock said she tried warning her about George’s strange behavior and the disturbing messages.

Efforts to reach the mother were unsuccessful Thursday. The criminal domestic violence charges against George are still pending.

Jonathan McFadden •  803-329-4082

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service