• Child Abuse Awareness and Prevention Kickoff for Child Abuse Prevention Month in April, will be noon Monday at Rock Hill City Hall Amphitheater, East Black Street.
Speakers include Yvonne Stewart, South Carolina Department of Social Services; The Honorable David G. Guyton, Family Court Judge of the 16th Judicial Circuit; Rep. Tommy Pope; Rep. Ralph Norman; and Mayor Eddie Lee of York.
A Blue Sunday Prayer will be led by Andrew Bradford, the youth pastor at Eastview Baptist Church. The Palmetto School Children’s Choir will perform. There will be a balloon release. Those attending will get a free child’s pass to their choice of the Main Street Children’s Museum, the Museum of York County or Historic Brattonsville.
• Dontavius Williams of Historic Brattonsville will share the story of Adam and other slaves on the Bratton plantation 5-6:30 p.m. Monday at the York County Library, Rock Hill. The program is suitable for 6th-12th-graders and adults. To register, call 803-981-5830.
• Artist, James P. Karner, will be featured in an exhibit Wednesday-April 29 at the City Hall Rotunda Gallery, 155 Johnston Ave., Rock Hill. Karner specializes in landscape photography with a focus on night imagery and light sculpting. The gallery, on the second floor of City Hall, is open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
• Count Me In to Do the Right Thing will host a bingo for youth and senior citizens 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the Richburg Fire Department. Prizes are essential household goods to be awarded to the senior citizens. Refreshments served. Open to the public.
• The Catawba Ag+Art Tour is seeking artists to exhibit and sell June 21-22 at Lancaster County agricultural sites, as part of the second annual agri-tourism tour. Deadline to apply is Tuesday. For information, go to www.catawbaagandarttour.com/lancaster or www.lancastercitysc.com. There are no artist fees for participation. For information on artist participation, contact the Lancaster County Council of the Arts at 803-285-7451.
• Boyd Hill Baptist Church Brotherhood Ministry will host a spring dance for children ages 5-16 from 6-8 p.m. April 12 in the Richard E. Sandifer Life Center, 315 Glenn St., Rock Hill. There will be free food, drinks, games and prizes. Open to the community.
• The public is invited to join a group traveling to Alaska from May 28-June 7. The trip includes land touring from Fairbanks to Denali National Park and a Princess cruise originating in Whittier and visiting the ports of Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Vancouver, British Columbia. For information, call Judith at 803-366-9308.
• A book signing for Pat Guerry Hodnett’s new novel “In Full Sun,” the third in the series of the “Lily” Kate trilogy, will be 2-4 p.m. Saturday at the Gillespie House, 10 W. Liberty St., York.
• The Woman’s Club of Rock Hill will host Mama’s Sunday Dinner and Grandpa’s Country Store from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. April 6 at the clubhouse on Aiken Avenue. Menu includes grilled chicken, baked ham, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs, macaroni and cheese, cucumber salad, biscuits and assorted desserts. Tickets are $18 for adults; $9 for ages 10 and younger. For reservations call 803-328-8888 (leave message) or Daisy at 803-329-2808. The club’s Spring Luncheon and Garden Tour is 11 a.m.-2 p.m. April 12 at the clubhouse with a lunch buffet of salads, sandwiches, and assorted desserts and a stroll through the beautiful gardens. Tickets are $15 for adults; $7.50 for ages 10 younger. Reservations for four or more are encouraged but drop-ins are welcome. For reservations call 803-328-8888 and leave a message.
• “Common Landscape Pests” is the topic of First Friday in the Garden, 11 a.m. Friday at the Glencairn Garden Learning Center, 835 Edgemont Ave., Rock Hill. The free educational program is open to the public Clemson Extension Agent Paul Thompson will speak.
• The York County Choral Society and Chamber Singers, in a collaborative performance with the Winthrop Chorale and Chamber Singers, present Ralph Vaughan Williams’ “Dona Nobis Pacem,” a secular cantata featuring the Civil War poetry of Walt Whitman at 4 p.m. April 13 in Byrnes Auditorium at Winthrop University.
Also featured will be music by Vaughan Williams’ British predecessors, contemporaries and successors. All groups are directed by Katherine Kinsey, director of choral activities at Winthrop and artistic director of the YCCS.
Admission is $15, $10 for seniors 62 and over, $5 for students with ID. Details: yorkcountychoralsociety.org.
• The Rock Hill Scott-ites will host a Chinese auction at 1 p.m. Saturday at Emmett Scott Neighborhood Community Room, Crawford Road, Rock Hill. Drop time is noon-1 p.m. For information, call 803-329-0521 or 803-329-2911.
• Southern Sweet Tea and Pearls, a traditional Southern tea hosted by the York County Woman’s Club, will be 2 p.m. April 12 at the home of Judy McCardle, 471 Lakeside Drive, Rock Hill. Tickets are $25. For reservations, call Judy at 803-493-6530 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Proceeds benefit Safe Passage and Tender Hearts.
• The Rock Hill Lions Club will host a pancake breakfast, 8-10 a.m. April 12 at Fatz Cafe on Herlong Avenue, Rock Hill. Proceeds will help provide exams and eyeglasses for children and adults in our community who cannot afford them. Tickets are $7 for adults and $4 for children under 11. Tickets can be purchased at the door or by calling Gary at 803-325-2133.
• The Knights of Columbus and St. Anne Catholic Church Vietnamese community will host fish frys, 5-7 p.m. Fridays during Lent at the St. Anne school cafeteria in the family life center. Plates are $9 adult, $5.50 children.
• The United Methodist Women at Bethel United Methodist Church will have a country lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday at the church, Curtis Street, Rock Hill. Plates are $7 and include stew beef and rice, chicken dumplings, pinto beans, slaw, cabbage, greens, pineapple casserole, macaroni and cheese, desserts and tea. Proceeds will go to UMW missions.
• The annual Festival Golf Classic will be April 8 at Pinetuck Golf Course with a 12:45 p.m. shotgun start. Proceeds benefit the Children’s Attention Home and the Palmetto School at Children’s Attention Home. Cost to enter the four-person captain’s choice event is $240. Fees include course beverages, range balls, box lunch and pin awards. Top three teams in each division win cash prizes. Hole in one on No. 17 wins $5,000. For information, call Jerry Couch at 803-329-1734 or Lewis Murray at 803-327-1141.
• Allison Creek Bluegrass hosts “Timber Ridge” at 7 p.m. Thursday at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church, S.C. 274, York. Doors open at 6 p.m. and concessions are available at 6:30 p.m. The family-friendly event is free.
• The Rock Hill Branch of the NAACP executive meeting will be 6 p.m. Thursday at Freedom Temple Ministries, 215 E. Main St., Rock Hill. For information, contact Sandra Oborokumo at 803-366-2184 or 803-325-2855.
• The Bethel Fire Tax District Board meeting will be 7 p.m. April 7 at Station No. 1,
• The Upper Palmetto YMCA’s Silver Fox Club trip to Spain and Portugal will be Oct. 3-16. The trip includes the cities of Barcelona, Valencia, Granada, Costa del Sol, Gibraltar, Seville, Lisbon, Fatima, and Madrid. The cost is $3,245 (based on current airfare) with double occupancy. The Iberian Explorer is sponsored by Trafalgar Tours. An informational meeting will be 9:30 a.m. April 7 at the Charlotte Avenue YMCA. For information, call Jimmy Johnson at 803-324-9622 ext. 228 or email email@example.com.
• A free workshop, “Getting Old is Not for Sissies,” will be led by Mitchell Payne of Warner, Payne & Black at 6:30 p.m. April 7 at the Family Trust office at 1219 S.C. 55 E., Clover. Payne will give an overview of wills and documents for power of attorney and health care power of attorney. Handouts will be provided and books on the topic will be available to checkout. Register at familytrust.org/knowyourdough or call James Sheedy at 803-326-2187.
• The York Soil and Water Conservation District is sponsoring a photography contest for York County students from kindergarten to college. Student amateur photographers can enter up to five photos. All entries must be digital and submitted electronically via email. Categories are “Conservation in Action,” “Close-up Conservation” and “Agriculture across America.” Deadline for entries is April 18. Complete rules and entry forms may be obtained by calling or emailing the Conservation District at 803-684-3137, ext. 101, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The York County Democratic Women’s Council is offering two $1,000 scholarship awards in memory of Bessie Moody-Lawrence. She was a professor of education at Winthrop University and served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1993-2008. She tackled issues that affected children, teachers, women and the poor. The scholarship is open to any graduating high school senior. For information visit the York County Democratic Office, 858 Cherry Road, Rock Hill, or call 803-327-4222
• North Central Family Medical Center will offer extended open enrollment assistance for the Affordable Care Act until 7 p.m. Monday, which is the deadline to sign up. The center is located at 1131 Saluda St., Rock Hill.
• The Thursday night race series at the Giordana Velodrome begins 7 p.m. Thursday at the velodrome on Cherry Road, Rock Hill. The races run through Oct. 30. Spectator admission is free. For information, go to www.giordanavelodrome.com or call the velodrome at 803-326-2453.
• Carolina Community Actions is accepting applications for children ages 3-4 for the 2014-15 Head Start program year. Applications are available at 1446 Russell St., Rock Hill; 100 Lestina Court, Fort Mill; 300 Clinton Ave., Clover; 2133 Quinn Road, Chester; 1966 Westbrook Road, Edgemoor; 37 Pinckney St., York; and 500 Hampton Road, Lancaster. For information, call 803-366-5398.
• Nominations for The Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department and the Commission for Children and Youth Champion for Children Award are due Friday. The award recognizes the person or organization in the Rock Hill area who strives in their actions and decisions to ask the No. 1 Question: Is It Good for the Children? Adult residents (18 years of age) or organizations who make positive contributions to the community on behalf of children are eligible. Forms are available at www.cityofrockhill.com/youth or by contacting Patti Panetti at 803-329-5625 or Patti.Panetti@CityofRockHill.com.
• The AARP Tax Aid program will offer free federal and state income tax preparation from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays through April 15, at the Fort Mill Library in Baxter Village. The last client is taken at 3:30 p.m. Bring 2013 tax return, picture IDs, Social Security cards for all being claimed, 1099s, 1098s, W-2s and any other proof of deductions or income.
• Free federal and state tax preparation for low and moderate income taxpayers age 60 and older will be offered from 12:30-3:30 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursday, through April 3 at the Adult Education Center at the Flexible Learning Center, 1234 Flint St. Ext. Bring 2013 tax return, picture IDs, Social Security cards for all being claimed, 1099s, 1098s, W-2s, and any other proof of deductions or income. No appointment necessary.
• The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program for low-income, elderly and handicapped taxpayers will be offered 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, through April 15 at Rock Hill City Hall Wellness Center.
• Family Preservation is accepting applications for therapeutic foster parents in the York County area. For information call 803-327-1775.
• The York County Council on Aging is in need of volunteers to help deliver meals Tuesdays and Thursdays to home-bound seniors in Clover. For information call Patty Teeter at 803-222-9286.
• York County volunteer Guardian ad Litem training will be 2-5 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday, April 8-10, 15-17 and 22-23 at Rock Hill City Hall, 155 Johnston St. For information, call 803-327-9997 or email email@example.com.
• The Emmett Scott High School class of 1967 April birthday fellowship dinner will be 5:30 p.m. April 7 at O’Charley’s, 2265 Cross Pointe Drive, Rock Hill.
• The Gordon Family reunion will be July 25-27 at Elks Park, 4050 Elks Park Road, Rock Hill. For information call Tammy Gordon at 803-493-8622.
• The Adult Enrichment Centers of Rock Hill caregiver support group will be 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at 359 Park Ave., Rock Hill. Open to the community. For information call Dee Curran at 803-327-7448.
• Celebrate Recovery, freedom from life’s hurts, habits and hang-ups, will meet 6 p.m. Mondays at North Rock Hill Church, 2562 Mt. Gallant Road, Rock Hill. For information call Rob at 803-493-1231.
• Affirmation of York County is a new support group for people in faith communities who seek support and understanding for ourselves and others in working through the issues confronted by gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, their families and their friends. Meetings are 7-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill. People of all faiths and denominations are welcome. For information call Ellen at 803-417-0954, Melissa at 803-547-6042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Grief Share, a 13-week grief support recovery group, will be 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays at Calvary Baptist Church, 830 N. Jones Ave. Cost is $17 for materials. You can attend at any point during the session. Register at cbcrh.com or email Liz Marsh at EMarsh@rhmail.org.
• Grief Share begins at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Eastview Baptist Church Education Building, 1430 Gordon Road, Rock Hill. Registration is $15 for materials. Scholarships available. For information contact Jane Cowan at 803-324-0386 or email@example.com, or Clyde Carrigan at 803-684-4052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets from 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
*• The Surgical Weight Loss Program support group meets at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Women’s Center auditorium at Piedmont Medical Center.
Send Community News items to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.