The Earth Day Birthday event, “Tell Your Green Story,” will be 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at the Museum of York County, 4621 Mount Gallant Road, Rock Hill. The event is free and open to the public. It is a smoke-free and pet-free event. Hawk Hurst, an environmental storyteller from Charleston, will talk with visitors.
The event will include hands-on activities, pony rides, a plant sale by the York County Master Gardeners, educational games and creative recycled materials sale. Volunteers will help participants tie-dye T-shirts. Bring your own shirt or buy one for $1. Family Trust Credit Union will sponsor a free shredding event. Old, unwanted documents can be brought to be shred on site from 9 a.m.-noon. Food and drink will be available for purchase, or bring a picnic lunch. For information, call the museum at 803-329-2121.
* • The Shepherd’s Center of Rock Hill will host its spring session of Adventures in Learning from Monday through June 2, (no class on Memorial Day) at Oakland Baptist Church, 1067 Oakland Ave.
Adventures in Learning is for people 50 and older to try new skills, learn about interesting topics and socialize. Registration and coffee is 9-9:30 a.m. The first visit is free, and the six-week session is $20 in advance or $25 at the door. Members who bring a guest will get a chance to win a door prize.
The day starts with an opening assembly of singing, moving to the music and prayer. The first classes are 10-11 a.m. with four choices. New this session will be lectures on local history in addition to Bible study, creative writing and bridge.
The second session at 11:15 a.m. offers games, gardening and a variety of lectures on topics useful to seniors.
After classes adjourn at 12:15 p.m., join the Lunch Bunch for a meal at a different Rock Hill restaurant every week. For a complete schedule, go to shepherdscenterrh.org.
• The Winthrop University Vision of Prayze Gospel Choir spring concert “Lift Him Up” will be 3:30 p.m. April 27 at Flint Hill Baptist Church, 1214 Flint Hill St., Rock Hill. Doors open at 3 p.m.
The concert features the VOP Prayze Team, Liturgical Prayzers and other guests. The Rev. Demetrius Jackson of Anderson will be worship leader.
The concert is free and open to the public.
• Work by local artist Louise Bradford Blanks will be showcased 2-4 p.m. April 27 at Gallery 102, 104 Williams St., Lancaster. Blanks, a self-taught painter, works primarily on reclaimed windows and canvas. For information, contact Carla at email@example.com or call 803-804-1902.
• The Ultimate Experience Tour featuring gospel artists Dewayne Woods, Latice Crawford, Le Juene Thompson, Tyronn Wilkins LeDessa Brown and Gabriel Powell will be 5:30 p.m. April 27 at The Gateway, 3200 Commerce Drive, Richburg. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. For tickets call 470-377-3113.
• The Domestic Violence Garden dedication and butterfly release will be 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Woman’s Club of Rock Hill, Aiken Avenue. A reception will be after at the clubhouse. Home Life CSP of the Woman’s Club and the 4-H Historical Club are sponsoring this event.
• The Bethesda Volunteer Fire Department barbecue and hash sale will be 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday and until sold out Saturday at Station No. 1, 1705 West S.C. 324, Rock Hill. Plates are $8 and include barbecue or hash, baked beans, slaw and a roll. Barbecue or hash by the pound is $9. Baked goods also will be sold. Delivery available to businesses ordering five or more plates. For tickets contact Amber Mills at 803-517-2612.
• The 23rd annual Eagle Club Scholarship Auction, sponsored by Comporium & Brownlee Jewelers, will be 7:30 p.m. May 17 at the Winthrop Coliseum with dinner and auction. Doors open and the silent auction begins at 5:30 p.m.
Tickets are $75 and include an open bar and full buffet dinner. Tables for 10 are available for $600 until May 1, after that tables are $750. Seating is limited. For tickets, call 803-323-2345.
• A benefit for Maddie Aldridge will be Saturday at Sanctuary Hill Church of God of Prophecy, 1289 Lincoln Road, York, with a yard and bake sale at 8 a.m. A hot dog supper and silent auction will be 3-6 p.m. Proceeds will go to medical expenses.
• The Rock Hill Chapter of Finley High School Alumni will host a Chinese auction 1-5 p.m. Saturday at VFW Post 3746, 1404 Crawford Road Rock Hill. Drop time is 1-3 p.m. Proceeds benefit the Alumni Scholarship. For information, call Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547 or James T. Dunham at 704-232-0793.
• Tega Cay Beautification Committee will have a workday 9-11 a.m. Wednesday at the Living Memorial Gardens. New members and workers are needed. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Kline at 704-287-7432.
• Keystone board of directors will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at the Keystone Prevention Center, 1600 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill. Open to the public. For information, call 803-324-4118.
• The York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners will meet at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Hwy., York. Open to the public. For information, contact Barbara O’Connell, district coordinator at 803-684-3137 ext. 101.
• The Rock Hill Branch of the NAACP general meeting will be 5 p.m. April 27 at Bannon Hall across from St. Mary Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road. For information, contact Sandra Oborokumo at 803-325-2855. Youth Division will meet at 4 p.m. April 27, t St. Mary Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road. For information, contact Deborah Saunders at 803-517-5014.
• The York County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the agency’s administration building, 7900 Park Place Road in the East York Industrial Park, off S.C. 5 in York.
• Newcomers Club of York County monthly luncheon will be 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. May 14 at Park Pointe Village, 3025 Chesborough Blvd., Rock Hill. Year-end gifts to selected charities will be presented. Lunch is $11. RSVP to YCNreservations@yahoo.com by May 9.
• The Tega Cay Vintage Club dinner meeting will be 7 p.m. April 30 in the Phil Glennon Community Center. Cocktails begin at 6:15. Entertainment will be casino style games and social card games. Prize will be awarded to each table’s big winner. The club is open to residents of Tega Cay.
• AARP Drivers Safety Program scheduled for Tuesday at Toyota of Rock Hill, 640 Galleria Blvd., Rock Hill has been canceled and will be rescheduled.
• “Basic Creative Marketing for Small Business” will be 6-8 Thursday in room 212 at the Winthrop University College of Business, Room Thurmond Building.
Workshop topices include differences between advertising and marketing, target markets, online social networking, how to network with other small business owners to get the word out about your business and how to organize your marketing efforts.
Cost is $50. Register online at www.winthropregionalsbdc.org.
• “Getting Your Business Online” will be 6-8 p.m. May 15 in room 212 at the Winthrop University College of Business, Room Thurmond Building.
Topics include choosing a domain name, basic planning for a business website, optimizing a website for local search, promoting your business through social network marketing and more. Cost is $50.00 Register online at www.winthropregionalsbdc.org.
• Registration for free swim lessons begins May 5. The lessons are taught by trained swim instructors, offered by the Rock Hill Parks, Recreation & Tourism Department.
Sessions for age 4 through adult begin June 9 and will run every two weeks through August. Times and skill levels vary per site. Swim lessons are held at the four City of Rock Hill pools.
Registration will be taken in person, on a first come basis during business hours at the PRT office (Room 390) at City Hall, Boyd Hill Center, Emmett Scott Center, Fewell Park Center and Northside Center. Sessions fill quickly and space is limited.
A schedule of classes and locations is available at www.cityofrockhill.com/prt and at the PRT office. Call 803-329-5620 with questions.
The City of Rock Hill’s four public swimming pools will open June 7. Hours are 1-6 p.m. Monday-Friday (except for Boyd Hill which opens at 2 p.m.) and 1-5 p.m. Saturday. Cost is 75 cents, children and $2, adults.
• Piedmont Medical Center will offer free seminar on surgical weight loss Wednesday. For time and location, call 877-228-3638.
* • The Catawba Council of the South Carolina Silver Haired Legislature is looking for volunteers in York, Chester and Union counties. Members must be age 60 or older. The group meets monthly. For information, call Wayne Kersey at 803-287-9453.
• Agapé Senior will host a volunteer training 5-7 p.m. Tuesday at Agape Senior Assisted Living, 1785 Lexington Commons Drive, Rock Hill. Volunteers provide clerical or administrative office support, participate in the music or baking ministry, and visit with patients. For information, contact Kay Lee at 803-517-2021 or email@example.com.
• The York County Animal Shelter needs volunteers to help with bathing, grooming, exercising, socializing, training, providing adoption information, and assisting in follow-ups, publicity and marketing, and various other jobs at the shelter.
Volunteers must be 18 or older, and orientation and training are required. For information call 803-628-3190 or go to the shelter at 713 Justice Blvd., York.
• Rock Hill High School class of 1954 will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Golden Corral, Anderson Road, Rock Hill. Family and friends are invited.
• Celanese workers will have a reunion cookout 2 p.m. May 10 at Bowater Park, Rock Hill. For information, call Jonetta Simpson at 803-242-6957, Francina Black at 803-329-2573, Bernice English at 329-4767, Eva Simpson at 329-1271 or Brenda Burris at 803-417-8900.
• The descendants of Rev. N.J. Lemmonds reunion will be May 4 at Mineral Springs United Methodist Church in the family life center, 5915 Old Waxhaw Monroe Road, Monroe, N. C. Family members of the siblings of Rev. Lemmonds are welcome. Lunch will be at 1 p.m. Bring any old photos or memorabilia, a well filled picnic basket and drinks. Paper goods provided. For information, call 704-243-2721 or 704-843-3392.
• The Gordon family reunion will be July 25-27 at Elks Park, 4050 Elks Park Road, Rock Hill. For information, call Tammy Gordon at 803-493-8622.
• Northwestern High School class of 1975 will have its 40th reunion next year. Class members are urged to send home addresses and email addresses to Karen Clark Pounds at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Overeaters Anonymous meets 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at River Hills Community Church, 104 Hamilton’s Ferry Road, Lake Wylie. For information, go to piedmontintergroup.org.
• Healing Choices, abuse groups for men and women, meets 6:30 p.m. Thursdays at Fort Mill Church of God. For information, email email@example.com or call 803-547-2629, ext. 28.
• Celebrate Recovery, freedom from life’s hurts, habits and hang-ups, will meet 6 p.m. Mondays at North Rock Hill Church, 2562 Mount Gallant Road, Rock Hill. For information, call Rob at 803-493-1231.
• Affirmation of York County is a new support group for people in faith communities who seek support and understanding for ourselves and others in working through the issues confronted by gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, their families and their friends. Meetings are 7-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill. People of all faiths and denominations are welcome. For information, call Ellen at 803-417-0954, Melissa at 803-547-6042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Grief Share, a 13-week grief support recovery group, will be 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays at Calvary Baptist Church, 830 N. Jones Ave., Rock Hill. Cost is $17 for materials. You can attend at any point during the session. Register at cbcrh.com or email Liz Marsh at EMarsh@rhmail.org.
• Grief Share begins at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Eastview Baptist Church Education Building, 1430 Gordon Road, Rock Hill. Registration is $15 for materials. Scholarships available. For information, contact Jane Cowan at 803-324-0386 or email@example.com, or Clyde Carrigan at 803-684-4052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Grief Share begins at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the conference room at First Baptist Church, Hood Center Road, in Rock Hill. For information, call the church 803-327-7181 or Stewart Smith at 803-493-0466.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information, call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets from 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Al-Anonmeets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
• New Path divorce and separation support group meets 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, room 302-304 at First Baptist Church, 481 Hood Center Drive, Rock Hill. For information, call Jamie Burdette at 803-327-7181 or email email@example.com.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.