Winthrop University honored several long-time staff members on Tuesday, including Boyd Jones a nationally-recognized campus activity programmer who leaves the university this semester after 22 years of service.
Jones, the universitys program director, was honored at Winthrops annual employee and retiree awards ceremony with the Mary Spann Richardson Award, which was created to honor a faculty or staff member for exceptional service and for raising Winthrops profile throughout the region.
Having led the DiGiorgio Student Union (DSU) campus activities board once called the Dinkins Student Union group for more than two decades, Jones also recently won a Lifetime Achievement Award and the Founders Award from two national campus programming organizations. Winthrops DSU group books, manages and promotes dozens of performances, activities and on-campus movies every year.
Ellen Wilder-Byrd, Winthrops associate vice president for institutional advancement, also was honored Tuesday with the schools new Dare to Rise award. It is given to an employee who is also a Winthrop alum and who has risen to the challenge of putting Winthrop on the rise, university officials said Tuesday.
Wilder-Byrd, a 1988 and 1994 alumna, has led Winthrops marketing and messaging campaigns, working directly with President Jamie Comstock Williamson.
Williamson presented the faculty and staff awards, including the Faculty Student Life Award to Geoffrey Morrow for his work with students through team-building activities.
Morrow, an instructor in the physical education, sport and human performance department, has implemented service-learning courses at Winthrop for students. He is also the director of Winthrops Outdoor Education Center.
Williamson also awarded presidential citations to 58 employees.
Four employees were recognized for their service to the community outside the Winthrop campus:
• Kavin Ming, professor of curriculum and pedagogy
• Sandra Neels, professor of theater and dance
• Daniel Hopper, assistant athletic director for sales and marketing
• Chrissy Catoe, associate director for development
For service to the university, these employees were honored with presidential citations:
• Linda Ashley, Laura Dougherty, Peggy Hager, Jim McKim, Merry Sleigh, Terry Guidry, Cara Peters, Allen Blackmon, Susan Gunderson, Tracy Hildreth, Chris Johnson, Kelly Shelton, William Haynes, George Kannon, Ricky Ramsey, Tony Warren, Sean Blackburn, Jill Simpson,
• Deborah Wells, Alex Miller, Michele Peterson, Kristi Schoepfer, Laura Foster, Kinyata Adams Brown, Jessica Martin, Robert OHara, Elizabeth Sanicola, Katlin Meissinger, Michele Peterson, Starr Albert, Debi Barber, Josh Bistromowitz, Crystal Bowens, Donna Coker, Rob Dellibovi,
• Bernie Fagarang, Price Feimster, Rose Guyer, Candace Jones, Johnathan Kimery, Peggy Lockhart, Louise Mickle, Claire Mooney-Melvin, Franco Wakhisi, Brittany Pearce, Cristal Richmond, Megan Rolf, David Rollings, Kayla Sullivan, Nancy Vienna and Tara Young.
Winthrop also recognized these 26 retirees who have collectively provided 428 years of service to the university:
• Linda Ashley, social work; Dennis Blancke, facilities management; Carlos Caballero, mathematics; Rory Cornish, history; Sylvia Cureton, facilities management; Mike Evans, accounting, economics and finance; Bob Gorman, Dacus Library; James Hunt, facilities management; Danne Kasparek, physical education, sport and human performance;
• Christa Kea, speech; Heakyung Lee, mathematics; Sue Lyman, social work; Ameda Manetta, social work; Martha McCullough, facilities management; Janie Odom, facilities management; Judy Pazera, student affairs; Barrie Platt, Richard W. Riley College of Education; Marguerite Quintelli, English; James Rhodes, facilities management;
• Mesgun Sebhatu, chemistry, physics, geology; Susie Shealey, facilities management; Donetta Smith, facilities management; Pravda Stoeva-Popova, biology; Jonatha Vare, curriculum and pedagogy; Alfonzo Walton, facilities management; and Cathy Woody, facilities management.
Tuesdays ceremony also included recognition for faculty and staff members who have reached special milestones at the university, including those who have served for 10, 20 or 30 years.
Anna Douglas • 803-329-4068