• The Friends of the York County Library will hold its spring book sale Thursday-Saturday at the First ARP Church gymnasium, 201 E. White St., Rock Hill.
Thousands of books for adults and children will be for sale at $2 per inch, measuring the height of the book stack. Videos, DVDs and audio books also will be for sale at bargain prices.
Opening night for Friends members will be 5-8 p.m. Thursday. Memberships will be sold at the door beginning at $15 for individuals and $25 for families. The sale will be open to the public 9 a.m -7 p.m. Friday, and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. All items will be half price Saturday.
Proceeds go to York County Library programs. Information: yclibrary.org or 803-981-5837.
• York East Relay for Life will be noon-midnight May 10 at the Rock Hill High School track to celebrate with cancer survivors, remember those we have lost, and to raise money in the fight against cancer. For more information, go to relayforlife.org
• “With Strings Attached”, the musical duo featuring Elda Franklin on viola and Mary Ann Helton on piano, will present a spring concert at noon May 13 in the St. John’s United Methodist Church sanctuary at 321 S. Oakland Ave., Rock Hill.
Featured vocalists will be Ted Patterson, singing Broadway tunes, and Jerry Helton. Admission is free, but food contributions for local food pantries are welcome.
• In conjunction with South Carolina’s Victims Rights Week, the York County Coroner’s Office is hosting a candlelight vigil at 7 p.m. May 12 at the York County Coroner’s Office, 933 Heckle Blvd., Suite 103, Rock Hill for all victims of crime. Families, friends, and community members are invited to remember those we have lost.
• Free clothes closet, food pantry and luncheon, 11 a.m. Saturday at Eastview Baptist Church education building, 1430 Gordon Road, Rock Hill. All are welcome. For information, contact the church at 803-324-4025.
• Master’s Car Club and Calvary Baptist Church will host the second annual Friday Night Parking Lot Crusade, 5-9 p.m. Friday in the church parking lot, 830 N. Jones Ave., Rock Hill. The event features a car show, free hot dogs and drinks, and entertainment by the Heritage Quartet. Bring lawn chairs. For information, contact Eddie Craig at 803-366-4683 or Jerry Deas at 803-493-0232.
• The annual Western York County Senior Expo will be 9 a.m.-noon Tuesday, May 6 at Filbert Presbyterian Church, 2066 Filbert Highway in York. The event for seniors, caregivers and health care professionals is presented annually by the Greater York and Greater Clover chambers of commerce and ICE, or Individuals Caring for the Elderly.
Admission is free. The event will include food and beverages, door prizes, entertainment and free health services, as well as information and health screenings.
Vendors can register at greateryorkchamber.com or cloverchamber.org. For details, call the York chamber at 803-684-2590 or the Clover chamber at 803-222-3312.
• Allison Creek Bluegrass will feature Timber Ridge 7-9 p.m. Thursday at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church Family Life Center, S.C. 274 and Allison Creek Road. Doors open at 6 p.m., food concessions available at 6:30. Free and open to the public.
• Clover High School Choraliers will present their spring show, Monty Python’s “Spamalot,” at 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday, and 3 p.m. Sunday at the Clover School District Auditorium. Tickets are $7.
• Westminster Catawba Christian School theater department presents “The Wizard of Oz” in celebration of the classic film’s 75th anniversary. Performances will be 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday in the Catawba campus gym. Tickets are $16 for reserved seats and $12 general admission. Tickets at the door, if available, are $2 more. Children age 5 and younger are admitted free in general admission. Tickets are available at showtix4u.com or at the Catawba campus office.
• Historic Rock Hill’s third annual “Yard Sale for the Yard” will be 7 a.m.-noon Saturday at the White Home, 258 E. White St. For information, contact Annemarie Beebe at 803-329-1020 or email email@example.com.
• Girls on the Run Tri County will have a 5K run/walk at 8:30 a.m. May 10 in downtown Rock Hill in celebration of its 10th anniversary. Registration is $25 in advance and $30 on race day. Runners get a T-shirt, goody bag and post race celebration with food, drinks and music. For information or to sign up, go to gotrtricountysc.org/events.
• South Carolina Area Eleven Special Olympics ninth annual Golf Scramble will be May 15 with a 12:30 p.m. shotgun start at Pinetuck Golf Course, Rock Hill. Lunch and registration is at 11:30 a.m. Cost is $320 per team. Food and beverages provided during the tournament. For information, call Jim Elkins at 803-366-7148.
• The 23rd annual Eagle Club Scholarship Auction, sponsored by Comporium & Brownlee Jewelers, will be 7:30 p.m. May 17 at the Winthrop Coliseum with dinner and auction. Doors open and the silent auction begins at 5:30 p.m.
Tickets are $75 and include an open bar and full buffet dinner. Tables for 10 are available for $600 until Thursday, after that tables are $750. Seating is limited. For tickets, call 803-323-2345.
• Clover Area Pop Warner Eagles will host host its first 5K/Trail Run at 8 a.m. Saturday at Clover High School. All runners, joggers, and walkers are welcome. Register at eteamz.com/cloverpw. Proceeds help local youth football players and cheerleaders. The group was founded in 2010.
• The Rock Hill branch of the NAACP executive meeting will be 6 p.m. Thursday at Freedom Center, East Main Street.
• The Ballroom Dance Club monthly dance will be 7:30-10:20 p.m. May 9 in the Oak Room at Fort Mill Golf Course Club House, 101 Country Club Drive. Dressy casual. All adult ages and skill levels are invited. Dances are alcohol free and non-alcoholic beverages are provided. Guest admission $15 per couple, $7.50 for singles. For information call Bob at 8030329-5764 between 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
• The Rock Hill Civitan Club will meet 7 p.m. Tuesday at Mary’s Cafe, Firetower Road. Social time begins at 6:30 p.m. Jenna Boydston with Tender Hearts ministries will speak. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Central City Optimist Club will meet 9 a.m. Saturday at St. Martin dePorres Room, St. Mary’s Church, 902 Crawford Road. Greg W. Leitch, chief executive officer of the Palmetto Council of the Boy Scouts of America, will speak. For information, contact Charlie Robinson at 327-4547 or email email@example.com.
• Fewell Park Recreation Center at 1204 Alexander Rock Hill, will offer the following classes.
Mixed Level Yoga Class with Barbara James, 9-10 a.m. Wednesdays, May 14-June18. Cost is $54.
Acrylic Painting in the Outdoors with Bradley Sabelli, 10 a.m.-noon Thursdays, June 5-July 10. Cost is $54.
Call 803-329-5645 to check availability. Registration is taken at the center from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays. Pre-registration is required.
• The Chester Soil and Water Conservation District is sponsoring a poster contest for students who attend school or live in Chester County. The winning entry will be submitted to the state poster contest.
This year’s theme is “Dig Deeper: Mysteries in the Soil.” Entry forms and guidelines have been distributed to are schools. Cash prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places. In addition, the teacher of the first place winner will receive a monetary award to use for classroom supplies.
Entries are due May 19 at the Chester Soil and Water Conservation District office, 744B Wilson St. For information, call Carol Shockley at 803-581-1908 ext. 101.
• UBC Hoop Ministry is taking applications for its summer league June 21-Aug. 10 for ages 9-18 at Union Baptist Church, Mount Gallant Road at S.C. 274, Rock Hill. Two games a week are played. Cost is $10 per player. For information, call the church at 803-366-1556 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Emmett Scott High School class of 1967 will meet for its May birthday fellowship dinner at 5:30 p.m. Monday at Chili’s.
• Students from Hillcrest Elementary School are invited to attend a reunion planning meeting at 11 a.m. Saturday at Foundation AME Zion Church on Neely’s Store Road, Rock Hill.
• Celanese workers will have a reunion cookout 2 p.m. May 10 at Bowater Park, Rock Hill. For information, call Jonetta Simpson at 803-242-6957, Francina Black at 803-329-2573, Bernice English at 329-4767, Eva Simpson at 329-1271 or Brenda Burris at 803-417-8900.
• The Gordon family reunion will be July 25-27 at Elks Park, 4050 Elks Park Road, Rock Hill. For information, call Tammy Gordon at 803-493-8622.
• Overeaters Anonymous meets 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at River Hills Community Church, 104 Hamilton’s Ferry Road, Lake Wylie. For information, go to piedmontintergroup.org.
• Healing Choices, abuse groups for men and women, meets 6:30 p.m. Thursdays at Fort Mill Church of God. For information, email email@example.com or call 803-547-2629, ext. 28.
• Celebrate Recovery, freedom from life’s hurts, habits and hang-ups, will meet 6 p.m. Mondays at North Rock Hill Church, 2562 Mount Gallant Road, Rock Hill. For information, call Rob at 803-493-1231.
• Affirmation of York County is a new support group for people in faith communities who seek support and understanding for ourselves and others in working through the issues confronted by gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, their families and their friends. Meetings are 7-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill. People of all faiths and denominations are welcome. For information, call Ellen at 803-417-0954, Melissa at 803-547-6042 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Grief Share, a 13-week grief support recovery group, will be 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays at Calvary Baptist Church, 830 N. Jones Ave., Rock Hill. Cost is $17 for materials. You can attend at any point during the session. Register at cbcrh.com or email Liz Marsh at EMarsh@rhmail.org.
• Grief Share begins at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Eastview Baptist Church Education Building, 1430 Gordon Road, Rock Hill. Registration is $15 for materials. Scholarships available. For information, contact Jane Cowan at 803-324-0386 or email@example.com, or Clyde Carrigan at 803-684-4052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Grief Share begins at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the conference room at First Baptist Church, Hood Center Road, in Rock Hill. For information, call the church 803-327-7181 or Stewart Smith at 803-493-0466.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information, call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets from 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Al-Anonmeets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
• New Path divorce and separation support group meets 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, room 302-304 at First Baptist Church, 481 Hood Center Drive, Rock Hill. For information, call Jamie Burdette at 803-327-7181 or email email@example.com.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.