Woman arrested after car crashes into Rock Hill convenience store

jzou@heraldonline.comMay 18, 2014 

— One person was injured when a car crashed through the front entrance of a convenience store in Rock Hill on Sunday afternoon.

The driver of the car, Kieara Brice, 23, turned herself in to Rock Hill police at approximately 7 p.m. Sunday after authorities were unable to locate her for several hours.

Brice has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident with injuries and breach of trust involving an automobile.

According to a police report, Brice drove a car through the front entrance of the Cherry Road Discount Beverage and Food store at the corner of West Main Street and Cherry Road in Rock Hill.

The car involved in the crash did not belong to Brice and was taken from another woman's driveway without her consent, the report states.

Brice fled on foot after the accident and a K-9 unit was dispatched to find her, said Rock Hill Executive Officer Mark Bollinger.

The incident occurred after Brice allegedly stepped on the gas pedal instead of the brake, driving into the store, he said. One person in the store was knocked down and was transported to the hospital by ambulance.

The report states that the victim was sitting on the floor when police arrived and complained of leg and lower back pain.

The report states that Brice was seen leaving the scene with her boyfriend, a passenger in the car at the time of the incident. She was also spotted speaking with some people at the scene of the accident before running off, Bollinger said. "Some people just panic," he said.

The car was removed by a towing company around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday after investigators dusted the car for fingerprints and took photos of the scene.

Ricky Patel, the owner of the store, couldn't estimate how much the total damages were to the store, but noted that the car took down the front counter, along with the front glass door, electrical wiring, and a side window.

Patel has owned the store for 18 years and said he has never had a similar accident before. "I don't know what to do--that's the thing," said Patel. The accident happened on Patel's day off, but the store was open at the time of the accident under a manager.

Jie Jenny Zou •  803-329-4062

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service