• The Elks Association Region Four education department’s annual Oratorical Contest will be 4 p.m. Saturday at St. Mary Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road, Rock Hill.
Contest winners from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina will compete to attend the national contest Aug. 4 in Atlanta. The winner will get a $10,000 scholarship.
• The Fort Mill VFW will host its monthly birthday party at 7 p.m. Friday with music and finger food at 1442 Harris Road.
Sunday, from 3-5 p.m. members will sell reuben sandwiches, chips and desert for $5. Open to the public.
• Members of the Friendship Nine civil rights activists and the author of a children’s book about the group will be signing copies Thursday and Friday. The book, “No Fear for Freedom,” will be on sale for $16.95 plus tax.
Thursday’s event is 1-3 p.m. at Fish Market restaurant, 990 Market St., Fort Mill. Friday’s event is 1-3 p.m. at Five & Dine, 135 E. Main St., Rock Hill.
The Five & Dine occupies the site of the former McCrory’s department store in downtown Rock Hill, where the Friendship Nine students arrested after sitting down at a segregated lunch counter in 1961. The men spent a month in jail after being convicted of trespassing as they protested unjust laws that mandated racially separate institutions.
• Outreach Ministries will have a giveaway event featuring clothing, shoes and other items, 6 a.m.-noon Saturday in the parking lot at Flint Hill Baptist Church, 1214 Flint Hill St., Rock Hill.
• Old Town Farmers Market off Caldwell Street in Rock Hill will be open 5-8 p.m. Thursday. The market features produce vendors, arts and crafts, and entertainment by Redemption’s Cry. The next market will be 9 a.m.-noon Saturday with entertainment by Woodland.
• Eta Alpha Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will host a forum on Human Trafficking at 2 p.m. Saturday at New Mount Olivet AME Zion Church, 527 Dave Lyle Blvd., Rock Hill. The event is free and open to the public. For information, contact Catherine at 803-327-4269 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• York’s Downtown Live concert features Pocketful of Strange 5:30-9:30 p.m. Friday at Whitesides parking lot. Dance to classic rock and rhythm and blues. Food by Old Alley Gift & Snack Shop with soft drinks and adult beverages available. Admission is free.
Family Movie Night & Great American Backyard Campout will be June 28 at the Rock Hill Outdoor Center greens. Tents can be set up from 4-8 p.m. and Disney’s “Frozen” will be shown at 9 p.m.
Campsites must be reserved in advance for $5 per tent space. Families participating can bring a picnic-style dinner. A free continental breakfast will be provided to campers, courtesy of EarthFare. Register at cityofrockhill.com/ALLOutdoors or at the PRT office in City Hall, Suite 390.
For information, contact Tom Bell at email@example.com or 803-329-5632.
• The Hillcrest Elementary School reunion committee will host a fish fry and hot dog sale 11 a.m. Saturday at the VFW, 1404 Crawford Road, Rock Hill.
• PATH fish fry will be 11 a.m.-3 p.m. June 27 at the PATH Thrift Store parking lot, 35 S. Congress St., York. A sandwich and soda are $4. Proceeds to PATH.
• Westminster Towers will host a Show and Shine car show, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday in the Westminster Presbyterian Church parking lot, 1300 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. Free registration and admission. Donations taken to benefit the Life Enrichment Department. There will be a silent auction. For information, call Jessica Wright at 803-326-3141 or go to masterscarclub.com.
• Eta Alpha Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will host a Chinese auction at 2 p.m. June 28 at Boyd Hill Baptist Church, 315 Glenn St., Rock Hill. Drop time is 1 p.m. Tickets are $5. For tickets, contact Kimberly at 803-366-5024 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The York County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs will meet at 7 p.m. June 26 at the Administration Building, 7900 Park Place Road in the East York Industrial Park, off S.C. 5 in York.
• The commissioners of the York Soil and Water Conservation District will meet noon June 24 at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Hwy., York. Open to the public.
• The Western York County branch of the NAACP executive board will meet at 6 p.m. June 26 at Wesley United Methodist Church. The regular meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. For information, call Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
• The Vintage Club dinner meeting will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Phil Glennon Community Center in Tega Cay. Cocktails begin at 6:15. Local magician Adrian Gagnon will perform. The club is open to residents of Tega Cay. For information, contact Judie Fiegel at 803-547-6662 or email@example.com.
• The Rock Hill Area Shag Club monthly party will be at 8 p.m. Saturday at Celebrations, inside the Ramada Inn on North Cherry Road. Cost is $5 for guests. Deejay will be Scott Smith. For information, contact Ronnie Jackson at 803-517-7724 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Clemson Extension Service in York County will offer a three-day cooking workshop July 8-10 for ages 5-10 and July 22-24 for ages 11-19. Classes will be 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at York County Clemson Extension Service office. Cost is $25 and 4-H members get a discount.
The class will learn basic foundations of cooking and make quick breads, yeast breads and egg dishes.
Registration and fee deadline is July 2. For information, contact the extension office at 803-684-9919 or email email@example.com.
• In recognition of National HIV Testing Day, Catawba Care will be hosting a free screening event from 9 a.m.-5pm June 27. Screening will be offered for HIV, gonorrhea and chlamydia at 500 Lakeshore Parkway in Rock Hill. For information, go to catawbacare.org or call 803-909-6363, Ext. 234.
• The Rock Hill Chapter of Finley High School alumni will meet 5 p.m. Monday at Jackson’s Cafeteria, 1735 Heckle Blvd., Rock Hill. Anyone who graduated or attended Finley High School is encouraged to attend. For information, call Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547 or James T. Dunham at 704-232-0793.
• The Finley High School class of 1964 will meet at noon Saturday at the Golden Corral, 1031 North Anderson Road, Rock Hill. All classmates are encourage to attend. For more information contact Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547, James Mayfield at 803-374-1090 or Kater Wylie Cornwell at704-661-7701.
• Indian Land alumni reunion for classes graduating 1930-1981 will be June 29 in the Indian Land Middle School gym with a covered-dish lunch (drinks provided). Doors open at 10 a.m. with lunch at 1 p.m.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity Restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information, call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12, and 13 and older. For information call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.