Independence Day will be celebrated 10 a.m.-4 p.m. July 4 at Hightower Hall, the antebellum home of John Bratton Jr. at Brattonsville in McConnells.
The living history plantation will feature 19th-century-style festivities such as music and dancing, a militia muster, and children’s military drills. Visitors can participate in the English folk game called Rounders, which is similar to baseball, or in the Game of Graces, also known as French Hoops. New this year, the Civilian Archers Society will be demonstrating target archery.
Historic interpreters will be giving cooking demonstrations and tours of the antebellum homes. The Friends of Historic Brattonsville will be providing food for purchase; picnic baskets are welcome.
Historic Brattonsville’s Independence Day Celebration will culminate with a reading of the Declaration of Independence on the front steps of Hightower Hall at 3 p.m.
Admission is $6, adults; $5, seniors; $3, ages 4-17 and free to CHM members and children age 3 and younger. Admission is free to active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Information: chmuseums.org or 803-684-2327.
• The 2014 Rock Hill South Carolina Writer’s Workshop Intensive will be 9 a.m.-4 p.m. July 12 at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 Oakland Ave. Registration opens at 8:30 a.m.
The workshop is for writers of all abilities and interests, including bloggers, fiction, poetry, nonfiction, technical, illustrators and marketing. Speakers include Ed Wilson, Rosemary C. Gray, Barbara K. Lawing, Craig Faris, Ann E. Eisenstein and Ed Green.
Cost is $25 for members and $20 for nonmembers. Lunch included. Information: 980-253-7261 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Anne Springs Close Greenway invites campers to pitch a tent, take a hike, and enjoy a campfire cookout and stargazing Friday for the Great American Backyard Campout. The event begins at 5:30 p.m. and will be held rain or shine. In case of rain, activities and campers can move inside the Greenway’s Adventure Center.
Activities include a guided family-friendly hike, kayaking, fishing, games and a hot dog dinner over the campfire, complete with fixings, s’mores and sing-along. Participants must bring their own camping equipment and are asked to register in advance at 803-547-4575.
Cost is $3 for Greenway members, $7 for nonmembers, and children 5 and younger are free.
• A free outdoor family movie night with Disney’s “Frozen” will be Saturday at the Rock Hill Outdoor Center Greens on Riverwalk Parkway. Seating begins at 8:30 p.m. and the movie begins at 9. The movie is rated PG for some action and mild rude humor. Bring a blanket or chair; snacks will be available for a fee at the concession stand. Registration is not required. For information on the family movie night, call 803-329-5620.
After the movie, interested families can camp out at the Greens. Campsites must be reserved in advance for $5 per tent space, and set-up will take place prior to the movie. For more information and to register for the Great American Backyard Campout, contact Tom Bell at email@example.com or 803-329-5632.
• Old Town Farmers Market off Caldwell Street in Rock Hill will be open 5-8 p.m. Thursday. The market features produce vendors, arts and crafts, and entertainment by The Escape Artists. The next market will be 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, with entertainment by StellaRising.
• PATH fish fry will be 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday at the PATH Thrift Store parking lot, 35 S. Congress St., York. A sandwich and soda is $4. Proceeds to PATH.
• VFW Post 3746 will have a fish fry, 11 a.m. Saturday at 1404 Crawford Road, Rock Hill.
• A “Double Spirit Night” for the Children’s Organ Transplant Association in honor of Jordan Diggs, a Chester-area teen who needs a kidney transplant, will be 5 p.m. to closing July 17 at SweetFrog, 572 John Ross Parkway, and Fuel Pizza, 1910 Cinema Drive. The Rock Hill restaurants will donate 10 percent of the night’s proceeds to help with expenses.
• Bike Run and Family Day, sponsored by Cox Harley Davidson to raise money for Safe Passage, will be 10 a.m.-3 p.m. July 19. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. The ride begins and ends at Cox. Cost is $25 per rider and $10 per passenger. Food and T-shirt provided for riders.
There will be vendors, hot dog and barbecue plates for sale, concessions and inflatables for children. Cars and motorcycles can be entered into “Best of Show” for $10. For information, call Samantha Berinskey at 803-329-3336.
• Eta Alpha Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will host a Chinese auction at 2 p.m. Saturday at Boyd Hill Baptist Church, 315 Glenn St., Rock Hill. Drop time is 1 p.m. Tickets are $5. For tickets, contact Kimberly at 803-366-5024 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• York County Democratic Women’s Club will meet 10 a.m. Saturday at the Golden Corral, Anderson Road, Rock Hill.
• Indian Land VFW will meet at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at 8083 Charlotte Highway. Potential new members should arrive at 10 a.m. with their DD214. For information, contact John Marker at 704-843-6930.
• The Western York County branch of the NAACP executive board will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday at Wesley United Methodist Church. The regular meeting will be at 6:30 p.m. For information, contact Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
• The Rock Hill Civitan Club quarterly meeting will be 7 p.m. Tuesday at The Italian Island Restaurant, Cherry Road. Social at 6:30 p.m. For information email email@example.com.
• Art classes and a craft camp will be offered at Fewell Park Recreation Center, 1204 Alexander Road, Rock Hill. Call 803-329-5645 to check availability. Registration is taken at the center from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Pre-registration is required.
Getting Crafty Kids Craft Camp, July 7-11 for ages 6-12. Instructor is Janet Dyer. Cost is $75.
Intermediate Watercolor, 10 a.m.-noon, Tuesdays, July 15-Aug. 19 led by Joan Carlson. Cost is $54.
Beginner Watercolor, 12:30-2 p.m. Tuesdays, July 15-Aug. 19 led by Joan Carlson. Cost is $54.
• The York County Sports Hall of Fame is seeking nominations for the May 2015 induction ceremony. Nomination forms are available at the York County Convention and Visitors Bureau at Baxter Hood Center at York Technical College or by calling Dennis Partlow at 803-322-7202. Nominations are due Oct. 1.
• The York County Animal Shelter needs volunteers to help with bathing, grooming, exercising, socializing, training, providing adoption information, and assisting in follow-ups, publicity and marketing, and various other jobs at the shelter.
Volunteers must be 18 or older; and orientation and training are required. For information call 803-628-3190 or go to the shelter at 713 Justice Blvd., York.
• Rock Hill High School class of 1954 will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at Golden Corral, Anderson Road. Class members, family and friends are invited to discuss the 60th reunion.
• Emmett Scott High School class of 1960 is sponsoring “The Diamond Classic Ball,” Aug. 29-31 at the Hilton Charlotte Executive Hotel in Charlotte. Registration is $65. Deadline is July 31. For information, contact Arthur Williams at 803-322-4690 or 803-327-4236.
• Indian Land alumni reunion for classes graduating 1930-1981 will be Sunday in the Indian Land Middle School gym with a covered-dish lunch (drinks provided). Doors open at 10 a.m. with lunch at 1 p.m.
• Safe Passage in Rock Hill will host a weekly sexual assault survivors support group 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays at 104 Oakland Ave., next to the Varsity Restaurant. Participants in the support group meeting must be 18 or older. For information, call Safe Passage at 803-329-3336.
• Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12, and 13 and older. For information call Lisa at 803-547-2124 or Sandy at 704-904-7834.
• Al-Anonmeets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.