Freedom Summer Initiative honors the 50th anniversary of a key moment civil rights. A program Wednesday in Rock Hill offered a look back at the volunteer efforts to help encourage blacks in Mississippi to vote. Wednesdays event at Emmett Scott Recreation Center also offered leadership training. Among the speakers were state Rep. Bakari Sellers, state NAACP President Lonnie Randolph and Kimberly Johnson, author of No Fear for Freedom: The Story of the Friendship 9.
- El Nino usually means fewer hurricanes for S.C.
- Sheheen: S.C.’should pause’ defense of state’s gay-marriage ban
- Rock Hill musicians idolized James Brown
- Rock Hill company set to debut hunting show on NBC Sports Network
- High school football scrimmage, jamboree schedules
- Clowney a big hit early for Texans
- Winthrop’s McClanahan to play pro ball in Finland
- Dustin Johnson takes leave of absence from golf
- Photos & Video
- All Living
- Some online retailers see value in opening brick-and-mortar shops
- USDA overhauls 50 year-old poultry inspections
- Colorado considers a new look for edible pot
- US warns against traveling to Ebola-hit countries
- Local Deals