ROCK HILL — A man charged a year ago with firing the shots that killed a Chester teenager at a birthday party was one of three suspects arrested in Rock Hill Tuesday after police found them with a stolen gun and pot, some of which one of the men arrested hid in his buttocks.
An officer on patrol stopped a Dodge truck after watching it swerve and cross lanes on Anderson Road at about 4:15 a.m. After making contact with the four people inside, the officer wrote in a Rock Hill police report that he could smell marijuana wafting near the vehicle. One of the passengers, identified as Quinton McClinton, 25, of Chester told police they smoked about two hours earlier, the report states. Police searched McClinton and found a marijuana butt in his back pockets. Another passenger, Robert Graham, was found with an unmarked pill bottle filled with prescription pills. Graham told police he sometime sells the pills.
As a third passenger, 16, got out the car, a black handgun dropped from his pants and fell to the ground, the report states. Police realized the gun was stolen out of Chester County and arrested the boy, charging him with unlawful carrying of a handgun and possession of a stolen pistol. McClinton was charged with possession of marijuana, while Graham was charged with possession of prescription drugs.
At the jail, an officer could still smell fresh marijuana coming from Graham, 25. Graham admitted that he hid 11 grams of pot in his “buttock area.” He was issued a citation for possession of marijuana.
McClinton last summer was one of two suspects deputies charged in the shooting death of 18-year-old Kendall Culp, killed at his best friend’s birthday party. The unarmed Culp was not the intended target, deputies said, but was caught in the crossfire of a gun battle between McClinton and Dasean Moses. McClinton, they said, fired the actual bullets that hit Culp in the chest. But, last September, members of the Grand Jury opted not to indict McClinton, who was released from prison. The charges against him were dropped. In an interview with The Herald, he decried police for arresting him without more evidence and said he planned to sue them.
No lawsuit had been filed by Wednesday evening.