COLUMBIA — Columbia firefighters responding to a fire in the Olympia neighborhood Wednesday found more than just a house that needed saving.
Inside, firefighters found a cat that was unresponsive. Firefighters began chest compressions on the cat and administered oxygen using a donated WagnN O2 Fur Life pet oxygen kit.
After several minutes, the cat regained consciousness. Firefighters cared for the cat until Columbia Animal Services took custody and found its owner.
A news release from the Columbia Fire Department said the cat, named Soldier, is still recovering.
The pet oxygen kit contains a specially designed animal oxygen mask and other materials that help firefighters when they encounter conscious and unconscious animals.
Brick Lewis, a Fire Department spokesman, said the Tryon Street fire was started by a shortage in an electrical strip. The homes occupants were not in the house at the time of the fire.
The blaze caused $11,000 in damage, Lewis said.