3-year-old Lancaster Co. boy dies days after being locked in hot car

adouglas@heraldonline.com / jmcfadden@heraldonline.comJuly 6, 2014 

— Law enforcement officers are still investigating the death of Logan Cox, the 3-year-old Lancaster County boy who was locked in a hot car last week. He died Sunday morning at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte.

Lancaster County Coroner Mike Morris said he learned of Logan’s death from the North Carolina Medical Examiner’s Office in Charlotte.

At the time the North Carolina officials called him, Morris said, they had not determined the cause of Logan’s death. Medical examiners Sunday were waiting for information from the hospital to help in their investigation.

Logan’s family declined to comment on Sunday.

The Lancaster County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the incident along with the S.C. Department of Social Services, said Maj. Matt Shaw, the county's under-sheriff. Investigators will also work with Lancaster's 6th Circuit Solicitor's Office to determine whether anyone will be charged in connection with the boy's death.

Logan suffered severe heat stroke Wednesday after he climbed into a car with the family dog and became trapped inside at the family’s home, the Lancaster County Sheriff’s office said.

Jimmy Clevinger, Logan’s grandfather, said last week that EMS took the boy, who was red-faced and complained of being hot, to the Buford Volunteer Fire Department, where he was flown to Carolinas Medical Center. On Thursday, Clevinger said Logan was not responding to stimuli like doctors wanted him to but that they were hopeful about his recovery.

Logan lived with his parents and grandparents at the home on Walnut Road in the Buford community of northeast Lancaster County. Deputies said it appeared Logan left his house without his mother’s knowledge. He was playing with one of the family’s dogs in the car, a black Mitsubishi Galant, but could not get out.

Authorities were unsure how long Logan had been in the car. According to a recording of the 911 call Logan’s grandmother made, her daughter had been asleep for about 30 minutes, and Logan, who she said figured out how to open the front door, had run outside.

Logan and his mother, Amber Bender, had been sitting on the couch watching television when Bender “dozed off,” Clevinger said.

When Bender awoke, Clevinger said, she realized her son was missing. Relatives found Logan in the car when they noticed the hazard lights blinking. Clevinger said the car doors were locked, but his grandson has learned how to unlock the car door. Clevinger believes Logan was unable to push the door back open because it’s heavy.

The family dog, a 9-year-old basset hound/pit bull mix, did not survive.

The Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service