Lake Wylie Chamber of Commerce had an active and productive 2008 that lead to a "Milestone Year" for the chamber and community. Here is a list of the activities and accomplishments:
• Held more than 15 Business After Hours networking events with the support of 35 sponsors.
• Created a "Milestone Year" by seizing the unexpected opportunity to purchase a new permanent location for the chamber and community.
• Expanded and relocated chamber offices and purchased permanent location, and held a ribbon-cutting and grand opening with area elected officials.
Never miss a local story.
• Opened and staffed new Lake Wylie Visitor Center, plus placed a sign placed on S.C. 49 by SCDOT.
• Expanded the chamber's office space by purchasing additional condo to open a Professional Business Center in Lake Wylie with six furnished offices, conference room and hospitality area, for small businesses to launch or downsize and remain in Lake Wylie. Business Suites are open and ready to rent.
• Hosted Spring Appreciation Luncheon and Fashion Show
• Presented Annual Splash Dash, showcasing Lake Wylie with a premiere regional running event.
• Successfully presented and promoted Lake Wylie events and activities throughout the year by collaborating with Lake Wylie Marine Commission, Lake Wylie Pilot and Lake Wylie Living.
• Raise money and facilitated Lake Wylie's Fourth of July Community Fireworks Display.
• Organized and collaborated with Lake Wylie Marine Commission and Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation to organize the annual lake clean-up event, Riversweep, on Lake Wylie.
• Hosted an outstanding Golf Tournament and after golf event at River Hills Country Club involving more than 275 members, including sponsors, golfers, volunteers and participants.
• Added more than 50 new members.
• Continued partnership with the Charlotte Observer magazine division to grow Lake Wylie Living, a premiere magazine to promote the Lake Wylie, to six issues annually.
• Partnered with Lake Wylie Pilot to launch a monthly chamber page in our community's newspaper.
• Celebrated the chamber's accomplishments at annual holiday gala and recognized leaders for the exceptional accomplishments during 2007 and 2008.
• Maintained Lake Wylie website at and 24/7 online directory for our members.
• Served as Legislative liaison, and held two candidates forums.
• Worked to pass the Sunday sales referendum for restaurants to be able to sell alcoholic beverages on Sundays.
• Supported formation of Lake Wylie Civic Association.
• Developed a Lake Wylie DVD to showcase and positively promote the area.
• Worked with a variety of economic development prospects that have now selected Lake Wylie to launch or locate their businesses.
Lake Wylie Chamber of Commerce is looking forward to another active and productive year ahead in 2009.
Ed Stewart is outgoing chairman of the Lake Wylie Chamber of Commerce.