Serving the Bethel and Lake Wylie communities
• LWAA baseball registration is under way for boys aged 13 and older for Junior and Senior League. Practice begins in mid-April; games begin May 1. We expect three Junior League teams (ages 13-14) and one or two Senior League teams (ages 15-17). We are working with the high school program with players and coaches.
• The LWAA baseball program thanks the many volunteers who prepped the ball fields last week. It is because of them we have such nice fields. An additional thanks to Eddie Busque, head groundskeeper for Knights Stadium and our neighbor, for getting the Crowders Creek field top dressed.
Never miss a local story.
• The community is invited to celebrate opening day on Saturday at the Crowders Creek Field. All teams should arrive about 9:30 a.m. in uniform. Festivities start at 10 a.m. Several special guests are expected, including Charlotte Knights' Homer. There will be inflatables and face painting for the kids, and a DJ. There also will be a couple of baseball games running into the afternoon. Concessions will be available all day, and we will be selling our gas cap magnets for the spring fundraiser. Team pictures also are scheduled throughout the day. Bring a lawn chair and stay a while.
• Watch this column for weekly game reports starting next week. Winning coaches must e-mail game results to Paula Lalli, email@example.com, each Tuesday to meet the deadline.
• Pop Warner football and cheerleading is gearing up for a great season. Registration starts soon, and coaches are already attending clinics. We are working on dates for the first Cheer Uniform Swap Meet and will be hosting an NFL Pass, Punt & Kick competition in conjunction with a Panthers Mini Camp, which will be open to any child regardless of whether they participate in LWAA Pop Warner.
• Important dates to remember:
March 21, Opening Day Celebration at Crowders Creek
April 4, Regional Pop Warner meeting
April 5, Regional Pop Warner Little Scholars awards in Winston Salem
April 25, football and cheerleading sign-ups at the Crowders Creek Spring Carnival
May 23, end-of-season tailgate party and Knights game for all spring sports at Knights Stadium.
June 8-12, LWAA/Clover High School baseball camp
• We are offering a Little League Challenger Division this year. The Challenger Division was established in 1989 as a separate division of Little League Baseball to enable boys and girls with physical and mental disabilities, aged 5 to18 or the completion of high school, to enjoy the game of baseball. We are looking for volunteers to help get this going, as well as families of special needs children who would like to participate. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• We are still looking for property and a storage/office building. If you have either to donate, it will be tax deductible and serve a great purpose.
We are always looking for continued support. If you would like to donate cash, goods or services, call 803-831-9298. To volunteer, go to eteamz.com/lwaa for the form.