Serving the Bethel and Lake Wylie communities
• Pop Warner football sign ups will continue from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the River Hills Community Church gymnasium, and 6 to 8 p.m. May 29 at the same location. All children must register in person with a parent and bring a wallet-size photo, copy of birth certificate and original birth certificate.
• LWAA announces Jay Killen has agreed to join us as football commissioner. Jay will bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the program, and is already working up a coaches development strategy. Other new arrivals on the football scene are Jim Marcelli and Tony Pennington, who will be heading up the first two Junior Pee Wee teams.
• We are still looking for coaches for soccer, cheerleading and football. Training sessions will be offered.
• Major league: April 21 results -- TCFM Diamondbacks 12, LWAA Pirates 1. April 24 -- TCFM Yankees 9, LWAA Pirates 7 in a heartbreaker decided in the sixth inning. Outstanding pitching from the Pirate's Brendan Montesi. Best team effort with the bats by all 13 players on the squad. Key hitters were Ryan Shannon with a triple, Mike Oram with a single, and Tyler Brown with a single. Key defensive plays by Taylor Franklin, Tristian Wallace and Mario Savio kept the game within reach. -- Coach Tommy Fulmer
• Minor league: April 24 -- Reds pitcher Zach Conrad 2 hr, 6 rbi , 2nd base; Chase Trites 4/ab, 2/h; Mets Pitcher Jake went 3/ab 2/h. Great job by both pitchers. Dylan Dunlap 3/ab /1h.
• Coach Pitch: April 14 --
Mets 5, Pirates 4. The season opener was well hit by both teams. The infield players saw a lot of action with most plays at first base. April 16 -- Mets 4, Reds 1. Josh (R) and Blake (R) went 2/2 at the plate as did Weldon (M). Austin (M) had a base hit. The Reds had a great play at first in the first inning. The Mets beautifully fielded a pop fly at the pitchers mound in the fifth. April 18 -- Mets 14, Yankees 4. Bats were "red hot" with Homeruns by Bryan (M) and Andy (M). Brenton (Y), Jonathan (Y), and Cory (Y) all hit 2/2.
• April 21 -- The Diamondbacks and Pirates battled to an 8-8 tie Coach Pitch Minor Leagues. Dax Stegall and Graham Whitesides both hit homeruns for the Diamondbacks. Greg Middleton and Luke Aldridge made great defensive plays in the field.
• April 23 -- Coach Pitch Mets 9, Diamondbacks 2. Graham (D) went 2/2 at the plate and Greg (D) hit a great line drive that was caught by Bryan (M). Ethan (M) went 2/2 at the plate and Caylah had her first hit that was fielded perfectly by first base for the Diamond Backs.
For information on LWAA, call (803-831) 9298 or visit eteamz.com/lwaa.