A Lancaster family has a neighbor to thank for saving their home.
The American Red Cross was called to assist a family whose Highpoint Circle home was damaged by fire Saturday night. Two adults and three children live there. None were injured.
“They said there was very little damage, other than the smoke,” said Chief Butch Ghent with the McDonald Green Fire Department. “There were no injuries. Everybody had gotten out at this point. The smoke was pretty bad within the house.”
Bad enough to where the Red Cross was needed to provide food, lodging and other essentials. It could’ve been worse, but for a neighbor who arrived to help put out the fire. By the time firefighters arrived, the neighbor had limited most of the damage.
Never miss a local story.
“It was about 90 percent put out by the neighbor,” said Ghent, who joked he should try to recruit the good Samaritan for his department.
Smoke damage and issues like carbon monoxide testing needed resolving before the family could move back in, but Ghent said it didn’t appear the home would be lost. Few details were available as of Sunday as to what started the fire.
“I'm not exactly sure what the cause was,” Ghent said. “I think they had a small fire in the bedroom. I don't think they had determined the cause when I talked to (investigators).”