Get the scoop on osteoporosis, foot health at local seminars
These health-related topics will be discussed this week:
• Lake Wylie Retirement, 4877 Charlotte Highway, Lake Wylie, will present Dr. Mark Sohner at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Sohner is a physician at Piedmont Internal Medicine at Baxter Village in Fort Mill. He will discuss current treatments and prevention of osteoporosis. Those interested in attending are asked to RSVP by calling Jennifer Peay at (803) 831-9900.
• Alterra Sterling House of Rock Hill, 1920 Ebenezer Road, will host a free seminar on foot health from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday. Dr. Christopher Crabtree, a podiatrist, will speak and answer questions. Foot discomfort is a common complaint people have as they age, especially if they have diabetes. Complimentary refreshments, door prizes and tours will be available. For details, call 366-1189.
Golf tourney at Waterford will benefit leukemia, lymphoma
Waterford Golf Club, 1900 Clubhouse Road, Rock Hill, will host the seventh annual Charles Bailey Memorial Golf Tournament at 9 a.m. Saturday. Proceeds will benefit the South Carolina chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
The tournament will be a two-man captain's choice. Up to two mulligans will be sold for $5 each. Prizes will be awarded for first and second place in gross and net. Lunch will be provided by Subway; door prizes will be given. The entry fee is $75. For details, call David Bailey at (803) 487-7555.
Groups offer assitance for varied conditions
The following support groups will meet:
• Agape Community Hospice will begin a series of support groups for those who have experienced the loss of a loved one during the last year. The first group will meet from 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday at Agape, 2115 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill. The group will meet at the same time and location the second Tuesday of each month. For details, call Shelia Mullis at 329-4544.
• The Chronic Illness support group will meet at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the Doctor's Dining Room at Piedmont Medical Center on Herlong Avenue, Rock Hill. The first 30 minutes of each 90-minute session focuses on educational material presented in a classroom-type setting. Participants will have the opportunity to learn practical information about how to cope. The last hour of the meeting is a support group session. The group offers individuals, family members and caregivers a safe place to gain emotional and moral support, practice problem-solving skills and talk to those who live with similar experiences. The meetings are free and are conducted by Lucy Easler, director of community education and outreach at Piedmont's Center for Psychiatry, and Elizabeth Crenshaw, a social worker at Piedmont. The support group meets at 5 p.m. the first Tuesday of every month. For details, call 909-5943.
• The Rock Hill area Multiple Sclerosis self help group will meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday in Classroom 3 at Piedmont Medical Center on Herlong Avenue in Rock Hill. People with MS and their caregivers are welcome. For more details, call Karen at 325-1037.
Red Cross schedules blood drives in Rock Hill, York
The American Red Cross will host the following area blood drives:
• 2:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, First ARP Church , 201 E. White St., Rock Hill.
• 2:30 to 7 p.m. June 18, American Red Cross Building, 200 Piedmont Blvd., Rock Hill.
• 2:30 to 7 p.m. June 18, Hillcrest Baptist Church, 2020 Hillcrest Road, York.
If you have a substance problem, there's help from local groups
The following substance abuse-related groups will meet:
• Reformers Unanimous, an international faith-based addictions program, will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Fridays at Rock Hill Independent Baptist Church in the Winthrop Commons Shopping Center, 725 Cherry Road, Rock Hill. The entrance and parking are at the rear. For details, call 327-6690 or visit www.reformu.com.
• Nicotine Anonymous, a 12-step program for smokers and chewers, meets from 6:45 to 7:45 p.m. Fridays at The Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill. For details, call (803) 675-6002.
• Celebrate Recovery, a national Christian 12-step program, meets at 6:30 p.m. Mondays at York Baptist Association, 434 Museum Road, Rock Hill. For details, call 627-0594 or visit www.golifeway.com/CR.
• For Al-Anon/Alateen meetings in York, Chester and Lancaster counties, call 1-800-334-2666 or visit www.sc-alanon-alateen.org.