Touring bus aims to help the uninsured
The Help is Here Express bus tour will be in Chester from 9 to 10 a.m. Friday at the Chester County YMCA, 157 Columbia St.
The tour helps uninsured Americans find programs that provide prescription medicines for free or nearly free. The tour is part of the Partnership for Prescription Assistance, sponsored by America's pharmaceutical research companies.
National MS group plans Charlotte benefit
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Mid-Atlantic Chapter, will host its annual Great Gatsby Party from 8 p.m. to midnight Saturday at the Atrium at Two Wachovia, 301 N. Tryon St., Charlotte.
The Roaring 20s will be the theme. A Sign of the Times Band will perform and a costume contest will be held. Other events include a swing dance competition and exhibition and a silent auction. The chapter uses the funds for MS clients and national research. Tickets are $40 in advance and $50 at the door. For details, call Catherine Turner at 1-800-477-2955 or e-mail email@example.com.
NAMI, spinal cord group plan local meetings
The following support group meetings will be held:
• The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill will meet Tuesday at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. Support groups meet at 6 p.m. A general meeting will be at 7 p.m. Sandra Bush from Catawba Mental Health will speak on Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability Insurance. Questions will be answered. For details, call NAMI at 802-4484.
• The South Carolina Spinal Cord Injury Association's York County chapter peer support group will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Women's Center Auditorium at Piedmont Medical Center in Rock Hill. Dave E. Rogers, a clinical psychologist, will present a video highlighting Dana Bowen and a video titled "Spokes & Strings." For details, call Bob Alders at 366-5659 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• TOPS, or Taking off Pounds Sensibly, will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at the YMCA York branch, 103 E. Madison St., York. The weight-loss group has weigh-ins every week. The meeting begins at 7:30 p.m., and there is a minimal cost. For details, call Cathleen Stowe at 327-0126.
Keystone board will meet Aug. 20
The Keystone Substance Abuse Services board of directors will meet at 6 p.m. Aug. 20 on the second floor of Wachovia on Main Street in downtown Rock Hill.
Blood drives planned in area communities
The York County chapter of the American Red Cross will host these blood drives:
• noon to 4:30 p.m. today, Keller Williams Realty at Baxter Village, 1030 Assembly Drive, Fort Mill.
• 2:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Beth Shiloh Presbyterian Church, 184 N. Shiloh Road, York.
• 2:30 to 7 p.m. Aug. 20, Red Cross building, 200 Piedmont Blvd., Rock Hill.
• 3 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 21, Unity Presbyterian Church, 303 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill.
Local groups can help with substance abuse
The following substance abuse-related groups will meet:
• Reformers Unanimous, an international faith-based addictions program, will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Fridays at Rock Hill Independent Baptist Church in the Winthrop Commons Shopping Center, 725 Cherry Road. The entrance and parking are at the rear. For details, call 327-6690 or visit www.reformu.com.
• Nicotine Anonymous, a 12-step program for smokers and chewers, meets from 6:45 to 7:45 p.m. Fridays at The Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill. For details, call (803) 675-6002.
• Celebrate Recovery, a national Christian 12-step program, meets at 6:30 p.m. Mondays at the York Baptist Association, 434 Museum Road, Rock Hill. For details, call 627-0594 or visit www.golifeway.com/CR.
• For Al-Anon/Alateen meetings in York, Chester and Lancaster counties, call 1-800-334-2666 or visit www.sc-alanon-alateen.org.