Bluegrass Inspirations will perform at Allison Creek Bluegrass at 7 p.m. Thursday at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church, 5780 Allison Creek Road, York. The event is free and open to the public.
For details, visit www.allisoncreekbluegrass.com.
Volunteers needed for Saturday May Day event
Volunteers are needed for Historic Rock Hill's May Day festival, which will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday on the grounds of the historic White home. Help is needed with children's activities, concessions and ticket sales. Those interested in volunteering may call 329-7085 or e-mail available work hours and job preference request to SLyle@ci.rock-hill.sc.us.
Never miss a local story.
Red Cross offers volunteer training
An American Red Cross volunteer interest meeting and orientation for new volunteers will be at 10 a.m. May 7 at the Red Cross building, 200 Piedmont Blvd., Rock Hill. For details, call 329-6575 or visit www.yorkcountyredcross.org.
Benefits planned for thrift store, individual
The following are having fundraisers:
• Thrift Store Ministries of Western York County, 31 N. Congress St., York, will sell all books priced over 50 cents for $1 an inch this week. Men's pants are buy one, get one free. The store has recently been renovated and donations are being accepted for furniture, appliances, clothing and other items. Volunteers are needed. Store hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. The store is closed Wednesday. Thrift Store Ministries serves needy families in the York school district.
• A benefit program for Marvin Douglas will be at 5 p.m. Saturday at Antioch Baptist Church, 2452 Boyd Road, Chester. The event is sponsored by Blackstock Community Association, Nebraska Johnson, Raymond Chisholm, Antioch Baptist Church and Pastor Paul Long. For details, call Carolyn Salters at (803) 581-3701 or (803) 519-9996.
• Catawba Masonic Lodge No. 56 AFM, 220 Tom Hall St., is having its annual chicken and pork barbecue sale from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Chicken or chopped pork barbecue with baked beans, cole slaw and tea is available for a $7 donation.
• Fort Lawn Baptist Church will have a yard and bake sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Woodmen of the World building in Fort Lawn, behind the Wagon Wheel restaurant on Highway 21.
Blood drives scheduled in area communities
The York County chapter of the American Red Cross will host the following blood drives:
• May 8, 2:30 to 7 p.m. at St. John's United Methodist Church, 130 Tom Hall Street, Fort Mill.
• May 19, 2:30 to 7 p.m. at the Red Cross, 200 Piedmont Blvd., Rock Hill.
• May 20, 3 to 7:30 p.m. at Unity Presbyterian Church, 303 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill.
• May 21, 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at ABITIBI Bowater Inc., 5300 Cureton Ferry Road, Catawba.
• May 23, 12:30 to 5:30 p.m., Trinity Methodist Church, 22 E. Liberty St., York.
• May 24, 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., YMCA Upper Palmetto, 857 Promenade Walk, Fort Mill.
• May 28, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Winthrop University Withers student activity center, Eden Terrace Road, Rock Hill.
Local football team hosting blood drive
The Carolina Scorpions football team will have a community blood drive with the Community Blood Center of the Carolinas from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Rock Hill Galleria. For details, call Bakari Rawlinson at (803) 487-0729 or Derick Crawford at (803) 370-5073.