Are you ready for the summer? If you or your child are looking for summer fun, camps for all ages offer a variety of activities from watching wildlife to playing soccer. Here's a sampling of some we've heard about recently:
An art camp is offered for students ages 5 to 16, by retired art teacher RuthAnn C. Manney. Projects include furniture painting, clay sculpture, or pottery, photography self portrait, tye dye t-shirts, jewelry, wire sculpture vases and abstract oil pastel drawings. Sessions are available from 9 a.m. to noon June 16 through 20, June 23 through 27 and July 14 through 18 at 913 Catawba Wells Court, Rock Hill, Creek's Edge subdivision. Cost is $115 per student and includes, all supplies and a daily morning snack. Manney is AP/IB certified and is a past teacher of the year for the Rock Hill School district. Class size is limited. For registration or details, call 327-0657.
Application for the Ten Star All Star summer basketball camp are being accepted. The camp is by invitation only. Boys and girls ages 10 to 19 are eligible to apply. Past participants include Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Grant Hill and Antawn Jamison. Last year, players from 50 states and ten countries participated. Scholarships are available for players selected to the all-American team. Camp locations include Gainsville, Ga., Prescott, Ariz., Thousand Oaks, Calif., Babson Park, Fla., Champaign, Ill., Glassboro N.J., Lebanon, Tenn., Commerce, Texas, and Blacksburg, Va. There is also a summer camp available for boys and girls ages 6 to 18 of all skill levels. For a free brochure on these summer camps call (704) 373-0873 or visit www.tenstarcamp.com.
Emmett Scott Recreation Center, 801 Crawford Road, Rock Hill will offer the following summer classes:
Never miss a local story.
• Meet and greet social from 5 to 7 p.m. June 12.
• Self-defense/Tae Kwon Do, from 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning June 11 through July 23. Cost is $47 adults and $37 youth. Pre-registration is required. Instructor is David Marc McClurkin.
• Impact community uplift, a youth mentoring program for ages 12 to 18, will be from 6 to 8 p.m. May 27, June 24, July 29 and Aug. 26. The class is free. Pre-registration is not required.
• C.R.A.V.E., a youth enrichment program, for ages 6 to 18, will be 3 to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursdays, starting June 12 through Aug. 16. The program teaches youth good character, respect, positive attitude, personal and family values and importance of education. The program is free and requires registration.
For details or registration, call the center at 329-5661.
Northwestern athletic camps
• Baseball camp, June 9 through 12, 9 a.m. to noon, Cost $75, ages 7 through 14
• Basketball camp, June 16-10, 8:30 a.m. to noon, Cost $75, ages 6 through 13
• Football camp, June 23 through 27, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., cost $80, ages 7 through 14
• Softball camp, June 16 through 19, 9 a.m. to noon, Cost $75, ages 7 through 14
• Volleyball Camp, June 24 through 27, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m., cost $125, ages 11 through 14
Anyone interested in registering their child is welcome to call the Northwestern athletic office at (803) 981-1989, Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Playball summer camps introduce boys and girls to a variety of sports, teaching skills used in football, baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, volleyball and hockey. Weekly camps are offered for ages 3 through 5 and 6 through 10 at two area locations. Details, Coach Derick at (803) 487-4687 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Leroy Springs Recreation Complex, Fort Mill, 9 a.m.-noon June 9 through 13, June 16 through 20, June 23 through 27, July 7 through 11, July 14 through 18, July 21 through 25, July 28 through Aug. 1 and Aug. 4 through 9. Weekly cost, $130.
• Runde Park, Tega Cay, 9 to 11 a.m. June 16 through 20, June 23 through 27, July 7 through 11, July 14 through 18, July 21 through 25, July 28 through Aug. 1, Aug. 4 through 8 and Aug. 11 through 15. Weekly cost, $80.
Thomas Gymnastics Training Center offers weekly camps at the center, 1807 Cherry Road, Rock Hill, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays for $99 per week or $30 per day. Early drop-off or late pick-up available for $20 per child per week. Camps include two field trips each week.
Dates are June 9 through 13, June 16 through 20, June 23 through 27, July 7 through 11, July 14 through 18, July 21 through 25, July 28 through Aug. 1 and Aug. 4 through 8. Details, 327-4332.
For more, check under the Lifestyles menu at heraldonline.com