▪ In celebration of the 2017 UCI BMX World Championships, the Arts Council of York County hosts reCYCLE, works by Leah Mulligan Cabinum and Sean Mueller June 15-July 30 at the Center for the Arts, 121 E. Main St., Rock Hill. A free, public reception will be 5:30-7:30 p.m. June 15. Carbon and metal frames begin to lose their identity as they are twisted and stacked. Gears and chains are pieced and welded together to create three-dimensional spheres. Wheels no longer grip the dirt, rather they rotate from above. In their work, both Cabinum and Mueller repurpose found objects, often bike parts – gears, valve stems, inner tubes, tires, bike chains, as well as the frames themselves, manipulating them to create sculptural installations.
▪ “Smokey Bear and Woodsy Owl: Home Sweet Home” will open at the Museum of York County with “Home Sweet Home Family Day,” 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the musuem on Mount Gallant Road. Smokey Bear and Woodsy Owl will be on site and available for hugs and photo opportunities. Family Day will feature special programs and activities. For an additional small fee and weather permitting, opening day activities will include outdoor mining for genuine gemstones with Dirt Dauber Deb. The exhibit will run 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays through Sept. 16.
▪ The Masters Car Club 15th annual car show, Saturday at Burns Chevrolet Cadillac, 2515 Cherry Road, Rock Hill. Gates open 9 a.m. with registration until noon. Cost: $20. Awards at 3 p.m. Live music, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. by Lebo Blackmon and the Soul Revivers. Blackmon is a former member of Maurice Williams and Zodiacs. Free hot dogs and drinks. Door prizes. Details: 803-366-4683.
▪ Durable groundcovers for sun and shade will be the topic for the First Friday in the Garden, 11 a.m. June 2 at the Glencairn Garden Learning Center, 826 Edgemont Ave., Rock Hill. Clemson Extension Agent Paul Thompson will lead the program. Free and open to the public.
▪ Allison Creek Bluegrass will host The Griggs, 7 p.m. Thursday at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church S.C. 274 and Allison Creek Road in York. Free admission. Hot dogs, hamburgers and desserts available. Doors open at 6 p.m.; food service begins about 6:30.
▪ Rock Hill Area Shag Club will offer free shag lessons for junior shaggers, ages 8-20, 7-8 p.m. Friday at Celebrations Lounge, Cherry Road, Rock Hill. Lessons taught by competitive junior shaggers. Parent welcome. Details: 803-242-6104.
▪ The Rock Hill Civitan Club, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Mary's Cafe on Firetower Road. Todd and Barbara McCoskey and their children will share their journey to a five day adoption. Details: Ella Messer at 803-366-9896.
▪ Hermon Presbyterian Church Summer Enrichment Program, weekdays, June 5-Aug. 4 for ages 5-12. Register 11 a.m.-2 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. Monday-Friday at the church, 107 Heckle Blvd., Rock Hill. Space is limited. Details: 803-327-6015 or hermonpresbyterian.org.
▪ Chester and Lancaster County 4-H programs are offering STEAM and other types of day and overnight camps for youth. Activities available for ages 5-19. A full listing of programs is at https://www.eventbrite.com/o/south-carolina-4-h-6856120227 and https://2017-4hsummersci.eventbrite.com. Details: Robin Currence, Chester County 4-H, 803-209-0538 or email@example.com.
▪ The Second Harvest Partners, sponsored by Providence Presbytery hunger relief site, 9 a.m. Thursday at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, 1875 Ridge Road, Clover. Volunteers will distribute food to participants who meet USDA eligibility income guidelines. Details: Catawba Area Agency on Aging at 803-329-9670.
▪ Emmett Scott High School class of 1967 birthday fellowship, 5:30 p.m. Monday at Ruby Tuesdays, Rock Hill.
▪ Rock Hill High class of 1962 55th reunion June 10 with a picnic, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Westminster Park and dinner, 6:30-10:30 p.m. at the Rock Hill Country Club. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ The Adult Enrichment Centers of Rock Hill offers a caregiver support group open to the community at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at 359 Park Ave., Rock Hill. Details: Dee Curran, R.N. at 803-327-7448.
▪ Al-Anon meets 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and 8p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill. Serenity Seekers, 6 p.m. Mondays, The Journey Church, 5415 S.C. 557, Lake Wylie.
groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. Details: 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
Send community news and photos (JPEG images) to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.