Police investigating construction theft
FORT MILL -- Someone stole $9,450 of construction material from a Fort Mill street this week, authorities say.
Between Tuesday and Thursday, someone took 315 sheets of radiant barrier belonging to Builder Supply from several construction sites along Club Range Drive in Fort Mill, according to a York County Sheriff's Office report.
Radiant barriers are used on roofs to reduce heating and cooling costs. The sheets are each valued at about $30, the report said.
Never miss a local story.
Blood drive to benefit troops set for today
A blood drive to benefit troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan and family members of the Army National Guard 178th Combat Engineers Battalion will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today.
It will be at the S.C. National Guard Armory on Museum Road in Rock Hill.
The drive will be conducted by the Armed Services Blood Program, a military organization that provides blood for service members and their families. The program must collect blood on military sites to support its needs. Potential donors must be at least 17 years old, weigh 110 pounds and be in good health.
The event is sponsored by the Rock Hill American Legion Post 34, the American Legion Post 34 Honor Guard, Rolling Thunder S.C. Chapter 1 and the church The Body. For details, call Buddy Reid, 367-6495.
Beaches open after possible shark bites
CHARLESTON -- A man and a 9-year-old boy bitten hours apart while swimming along a South Carolina beach likely suffered shark bites, a marine biologist said Friday.
The waters along a 7-mile stretch of the Isle of Palms, which had been closed following the Thursday incidents, were reopened on Friday to swimmers.
"It sounds from the extent of the bites, they likely were shark bites," said Bryan Frazier, a marine biologist with the state Department of Natural Resources, who said he would need to see photos to say for sure.
The man and the boy were both treated at hospitals.
, were bitten within three hours of each other, said Isle of Palms administrator Linda Tucker.
A man was in stable condition at the East Cooper Regional Medical Center Friday after undergoing surgery, said Pam Tucker, a spokeswoman for the hospital. She said she could not release his name or nature of his injuries.
The incidents occurred about four miles apart along the shore of the resort island lined with large beach front homes.
"Off of South Carolina it's a pretty unusual occurrence," Frazier said. "We average generally about four shark bites a year. To have two in the same area is definitely an unusual occurrence but I highly doubt they were related."
"Certainly in our area, it's a case of mistaken identity," he said. "I don't like to call them shark attacks off our area, I think of them more as shark bites. It's grab and release."
Tucker said both the beach and the water were being patrolled on Friday.
There are few bull sharks in South Carolina waters. Those are the ones often involved in violent attacks in Florida, Frazier said. He said the bites could have been caused by any of a half-dozen types of sharks common to the South Carolina coast.
There had been no confirmed reports of unprovoked shark attacks in South Carolina this year, said George H. Burgess, the director of the International Shark Attack File.
There have been 56 confirmed, unprovoked shark attacks along the state's coast since 1837. The last fatal attack was in 1852.