Fort Mill man killed in motorcycle wreck
A 42-year-old Fort Mill man was killed Tuesday night when he lost control of the motorcycle he was driving and crashed, said Cpl. Bryan McDougald of the S.C. Highway Patrol.
Dewey Lee Gordon of Fort Mill was traveling north on Barberville Road in Lancaster County around 6:20 p.m. when he lost control, swerved off the left side of the road, struck a concrete culvert and was ejected from the 1981 Honda, McDougald said.
Gordon was not wearing a helmet, McDougald said. He estimated the motorcycle's speed at 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.
Gordon was flown to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte. He died around 9 p.m., McDougald said.
The Lancaster County Coroner's Office is scheduled to perform an autopsy and toxicology tests this week, McDougald said.
N.C. officials approve incentives for water park
CONCORD, N.C. -- Concord and Cabarrus County, N.C., officials have approved concept plans and incentives for a $100 million indoor water park and hotel resort, even though the developer still has not decided whether to come to Concord.
Great Wolf Resorts of Wisconsin has said it would put its complex in the Charlotte area. It is choosing between Concord and Fort Mill.
On Monday, Cabarrus County commissioners approved a five-year incentive package worth nearly $2.7 million over five years. Tuesday night, Concord's planning and zoning board gave approval to Great Wolf's concept plan.
Plans calls for a 409-room hotel as part of a 465,597-square-foot complex. The water park would only be open to hotel guests.
The project also is expected to bring 400 permanent jobs with it, and the resort would be the first of its kind in the Charlotte region. Great Wolf plans to start construction late this year, and build the facility in 18 months.
This would be the 12th park for the company.
-- The Charlotte Observer
Work completed on Beaufort County bridge
BEAUFORT -- Work was completed Wednesday on a Beaufort County bridge severely damaged by a barge crane less than two months ago.
Just one lane of the J.E. McTeer Bridge had been open for limited hours since the steel beams under the span were damaged April 27.
Both lanes opened Wednesday but may be closed periodically at night so that utility crews can finish work, officials said.