YORK -- Police have dropped a murder charge against a York man who had been a suspect in a gang-related fatal shooting in September.
The murder charge against Antonio Maurice Mobley, 25, of 13 Rosewood Lane was dropped Thursday, according to a press release issued jointly by the 16th Circuit Solicitor's Office and the York Police Department.
Mobley had been free on a $15,000 bond since last month after being charged in the Sept. 11 shooting death of Dawud Chester during what police said was a gang-related incident on California Street. The shooting also left another man wounded.
Solicitor Kevin Brackett declined to comment Thursday and deferred to the release. York Police Chief Bill Mobley and Detective Billy Mumaw could not be reached for comment.
Never miss a local story.
However, the release states that the state grand jury now will investigate the case.
"The State Grand Jury can issue indictments related to this shooting should their investigation of this case establish there is sufficient evidence to warrant charges," the release states.
"Due to this fact, the 16th Circuit Solicitor's Office and the York Police Department agree that the pending warrants issued by the City of York Police Department against Antonio Mobley for murder and assault and battery with intent to kill should be dismissed."
Charges also were dropped against Monquarius Antonio Duncan of York, Mobley's cousin who was raised as his brother, said York attorney Melvin Roberts, who was hired to represent Mobley and Duncan.
Officials had charged Duncan, then 19, with criminal conspiracy and assault with a deadly weapon in an unrelated case.
Mobley faced multiple felony charges, including murder, assault and battery with intent to kill and possession of a firearm during a violent crime in connection with the California Street shooting.
Mobley and Duncan had been slated to appear in court Tuesday for a preliminary hearing.
The dismissed charges came more than two months after the shooting that killed Chester, who police said was a member of the Valley Boys gang. Also wounded was Lorraine Shannon, then 33, who police say is associated with the Cali Boys, a rival gang.
Silas Mobley, Antonio Mobley's father, previously told The Herald that his son tried to break up a fight involving Duncan and that Antonio Mobley had nothing to do with the shooting.
While police believe Duncan was not armed, police reports state that Antonio Mobley had a gun that fell out of his pocket.
According to arrest warrants, Mobley shot Chester in the back with a .45-caliber handgun. The warrants state Shannon was shot in both legs.
Mobley did not have a weapon when he was arrested, and the weapon involved in the shooting has not been recovered, police said. Authorities recovered five shells from the scene, which drew more than 200 people on the night of the shooting.
Attorney Melvin Roberts was hired to represent Mobley and Duncan. Roberts previously said in court that Shannon, wounded in his ankle and calf during the shooting, did not name Mobley or Duncan as the man who shot him. The alleged shooter's name was not released.
Late Thursday afternoon, Roberts contacted Mobley's family.
"They are happy," Roberts said when reached at his York office. "They hope this will be the end of it. They feel like justice has been served."
York Mayor Eddie Lee said he hopes the state grand jury will be able to shed light on what happened.
"I continue to watch the aftermath of the tragic murder and shooting closely," he said. "The community continues to seek a fair resolution."